Glassing over original chopper, how to prep, and suggestions.

psykosteel

Seaman Apprentice
Hello to all the iboaters out there,

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions about adding glass to a hull that was originally done with a chopper gun. It's an '85 so I believe it's poly resin? I've searched and read through a lot of other posts and this is what I think I need to do, but looking for a littel reassurance.

My thought is to add a layer of CSM over the chopper, but how to prep first. I am guessing that I'll need to scuff up everything with some 36 or 40 grit first, clean with acetone, then lay down a thin layer of epoxy, add the csm, then a little more epoxy over it and work out the air bubbles with a roller.

Sound good, additional thoughts appreciated.

Happy boating!

matt167

Captain
Re: Glassing over original chopper, how to prep, and suggestions.

You don't need epoxy. The boat is poly so you can stick with poly unless your more used to working with epoxy.. Grind it down to good glass which comes out pinkish color. Then you can do with whatever you want if you want to add to the original boat structure. Woodonglass has lamination scheduals in his '61 Lonestar Flamingo resto thread

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

There's no need to start another thread. You can ask this question in your boat project thread and get your question answered there. Since you have pics posted there, It makes it much easier for everyone to follow along with your project that way and the forum rules and guidelines suggest that you do it this way.

psykosteel

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies matt167 and Wood and will do that next time Wood. Maybe a mod will merge the threads.

jbcurt00

Staff member

PM any mod & ask them to link them for you. They will