Alpha1, Gen1, steering loose

acex008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I think I need to replace my gimbal ring as it's pretty loose at the steering shaft. I've read in a few spots online that yoyu can just tighten the u-bolt at the steering shaft and be fine but wanted to check here first. Isn't the u-bolt spec'ed to be torqued at a certain amount and tightening it will just be cause for failure? A new gimbal ring is $600!!! I fear going with used would just lead me to another loose steering condition in the not too distant future... I also fear no other options. HELP!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Alpha1, Gen1, steering loose

If you have an Apha I you do not have a "U" bolt you have two "gimbal ring clamping screws". They should be retorqued to 55 ft lb every year (according to the Mercruisr manual). When my ring was loose (due to lack of maintenance on my part), I retorqued the bolts to 55 ft lb and it removed all of the play. It is a bolt with a locknut, so you will have to get a wrench on the nut in back. Good luck.

acex008

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll retorque it to 55 ft lb's tonight and see how that does for the play. I bought this boat last season and I don't think it was ever torqued as part of it's maintenance routine which is surprising to me since it was very well maintained...

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I don't think it was ever torqued as part of it's maintenance routine which is surprising to me since it was very well maintained...

I'll bet not 1 boater in 10 does it on an annual basis as part of routine maintenance. I however have learned my lesson. :rolleyes: LOL