1968 Evinrude 3 hp

Mtkid66

Recruit
I was given a 1968 evinrude 3 hp that had not been used in 5-10 years. I got it all cleaned up and running. I changed the oil in the lower and it was running great. I put it on the boat and decided to fire it up before I got to the lake. I put the ears on and the motor fired right up. I notice the prop was not turning. I shut it down and found the prop to be stuck. It would turn but very hard. Any idea's out there. I would love to use this motor but I am still a novice at repair. Thanks for any help.

Ben

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1968 Evinrude 3 hp

I believe that's a "direct drive" motor which means it would have no forward, neutral, or reverse. so, if the motor was runing, and the prop wasn't turning, there's a problem either in the gearcase, with the pinion gear, main gear, or the driveshaft. The prop also has a sheer pin that could be broken. Check the sheer pin before tearing into the gearcase.

Mtkid66

Recruit

Thank you. When I took the lower unit apart the prop would move the drive shaft just fine. Any thoughts?

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Take a look at the splines on the top end of the driveshaft.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Look at the splines to see if they are damaged or worn down. If there is any damage, it'll be very obvious. Damaged driveshaft splines means the crankshaft splines are also damaged and if that's the case, I seriously doubt the motor would be worth the cost of repair.