AC spark plug alternative

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer
1994 Merc 350 mag non vortec, I want to change plugs and went to NAPA where I have always gone to get AC plugs. They dont carry the Mr43t anymore but have a myriad of other brands avaliable(champ, autolite, ngk). What is a good alternative or should I just order the AC's would like to hear others thoughts.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: AC spark plug alternative

NGK BR6FS.... AVOID (like 'black death') champions!

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I hear the same thing about Champions lol. Spark Plugs are kinda like asking what brand of oil to use so be prepared !!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I hear the same thing about Champions lol. Spark Plugs are kinda like asking what brand of oil to use so be prepared !!

Not really, with oil you just get opinion about what people like and dislike but never hear of any real actual problems, just opinions.
On spark plugs, I personally have fixed problems on customers boats with running problems only to find the new champion plugs they put in are not firing. Or the porcelain center blow out of the plug. They are also longer than the AC or NGK and makes it impossible to install on some engines and manifolds without them cracking.
Those are just my observation, and others have had the same problems.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Just my opinion........... I have always used AC plugs in all my Chevy's and have had very good results.
I would think .....Any auto parts store should have the AC plugs that you are looking for!

Bondo

Staff member

1994 Merc 350 mag non vortec, I want to change plugs and went to NAPA where I have always gone to get AC plugs. They dont carry the Mr43t anymore but have a myriad of other brands avaliable(champ, autolite, ngk). What is a good alternative or should I just order the AC's would like to hear others thoughts.

Ayuh,.... At My Napa, they don't carry 'em on the shelf either, but when the parts guy is Pressured, they usually show up the next day,...
Maybe the day after,...