Timing XR2 Black Max 150

iivydriff

Cadet
Last time I ran the motor It was having idling issues. It was running rough and I liked to never got the boat to plane. After getting it up on plain and blowing the cobs out a bit it ran alot better. But anyhow It had the Idle control box still installed so I took it off today. After removing it I checked the timing by using a dial indicator. When I went through the procedure I found the timing pointer was set on .428 instead of .462. I went through the steps about 8 times to make sure I was doing it right. Finally I moved the pointer, but could that pointer have actually been that far off? After moving the timing pointer I hooked up a timing light. It was showing 2 degrees ATDC on the low side and 22 ATDC on the high side. I grounded all the spark plugs and I also found that number 4 is not firing. I looked everyting over and cant see anything wrong with the wires or anything. All other cylinders are firing. Is it more than likely a coil? Please give me some info I dont want it to throw parts at me the first time I open it up in the lake. Its an I think its an 85 on the year on that motor. Or an 84. .462 is the right setting for this motor isnt it? I have a shop manual for an 89 model but not the XR2 everything looks to be the same for the most part just need some input to make sure.