Deth finder failing intermittently

cptnmcluvin

Seaman
My 2011 Glastron GT205 mercruiser is equipped with a Lowrance LST-3800 depth gauge. The gauge works but it appears the tranducer is only reading intermittently. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. The problem just started a week ago. It seems to fail in water deeper than 40 feet and shallower than 8 feet.

BTW, where would the in hull transducer be and what does it look like? Pictures?

How would I trouble shoot the transducer?

How ironic the boat warranty just ran out this spring :-(

Any information is greatly appreciated.

cretus

Seaman
Re: Deth finder failing intermittently

If its in the hull it sounds like it may have come loose. I cant be sure though.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't have the model Lowrance but checked the online manual and it appears it ships with an external transducer which would be mounded on the stern just slightly lower than the hull. If that got bumped or is misaligned, it can cause incorrect readings. I'd start there.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like you bumped the transducer out of line when putting her on the trailer- or hit something in the water.

cptnmcluvin

Seaman

I looked again. It appears the transducer is mounted inside the boat and below the engine block in the bilge.

It's hard to reach.

Cretus, your explanation sounds reasonable.

If it's loose, should I glue it back down? How? What type of glue?

Thanks a bunch

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

You need to use a slow-curing, two part epoxy. Lowrance might even recommend a particular kind. The key is to get it to bed without any bubbles between the hull and the 'ducer. Slow-curing epoxy makes this easier.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If its loose, remove it. Test it over the side and see if it works properly, stationary obviously, but it in multiple spots and depths. If the transducer appears to be functional, remount it using the info JAS posted above me. You may have to pick another spot in the hull if the old epoxy cant be removed because of the limited access.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't be too quick to assume a loose transducer.
I have the same problem; in water less than 8 feet mine will stop working and repeatedly flash the last good reading. I know it's not a loose transducer because mine is not a through-hull. I actually have a hole in the hull the transducer pokes through. It was built that way at the factory.
I haven't figured out why I lose signal. There doesn't seem to be any common factor. I've suspected mud on the bottom of the hull, sediment in the water, rough conditions, etc but nothing seems to be consistent.

cptnmcluvin

Seaman

Thank you for the information. I've sent an email to Lowrance tech support. I'll post their response.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

Some of the transducers sit in a socket and the cavity is filled with RV antifreeze or mineral oil. If some of that escapes over time, it could cause an air bubble and prevent it from reading.