Throttle "cable" broken?

frkyone

Cadet
Hi folks thanks in advance for any advice.
I have a 1975 115hp evinrude and I just found the inner core to my throttle cable to be broken.
Upon looking for a new cable it looks like from the pictures I can see is that its for only the outer cable.
Is the inside rod replaceable? wouldn't that be nice?
Also part number if available?
Basically it broke about a foot from the motor end.I have the black sleeve and about 7" of the inner core in my hand.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Throttle "cable" broken?

That inner core (steel cable) is an exact length, critical to a 64th of an inch... really not something you want to get involved with.

Purchase the exact length cable you need and be done with it.

Note that nobody simply sells the throttle cable sleeve if that's what you mean in your 3rd sentence.

frkyone

Cadet

That inner core (steel cable) is an exact length, critical to a 64th of an inch... really not something you want to get involved with.

Purchase the exact length cable you need and be done with it.

Note that nobody simply sells the throttle cable sleeve if that's what you mean in your 3rd sentence.

I got confused because I was looking at pre-1979 cables which SHOULD be on my motor,but it appears they are the later versions with the black sleeves.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I got confused because I was looking at pre-1979 cables which SHOULD be on my motor,but it appears they are the later versions with the black sleeves.

Yea, it can get confusing. There are cables made where one can install different ends (sleeves) on the cables... then there are the more popular cables that come pre-fitted with factory installed ends/sleeves (ends that cannot be removed).

Question.... How long is that cable, from one end of the inner steel wire to the other end of that wire? Be sure to include the length of the portion that broke off.

frkyone

Cadet

Yea, it can get confusing. There are cables made where one can install different ends (sleeves) on the cables... then there are the more popular cables that come pre-fitted with factory installed ends/sleeves (ends that cannot be removed).

Question.... How long is that cable, from one end of the inner steel wire to the other end of that wire? Be sure to include the length of the portion that broke off.

16 1/2" end to end,upon further investigation I have the removable ends too. I ordered a 16 foot cable because I had a big loop back by the motor even with it turned all the way.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The normal measurement for cables when rigging a boat/engine is to measure from the center of the control box to the edge of the transom then to the center of the engine, then add one foot. This ends up with a cable of the proper length with the loop you mention. If not for the loop, turning the engine to the far side would result in a kinked worthless cable.

Not that it pertains to your engine BUT if one had the older style engine where the throttle attachment was on the port side and the shift on the starboard side, one would add one foot for the throttle cable and 2 feet for the shift cable. (Just interesting stuff).

Ordering a even 16 foot cable was the correct thing to do.

On the removable ends..... notice a smaller hole just beyond the hole where the sleeve and allen screws go into. When you install the inner cable into that sleeve, have a allen wrench or some type object inserted into the smaller hole so that the inner cable cannot pass into the smaller hole but absolutely does butt up against the allen wrench (or whatever you have in there). This will give you a perfect cable length fit (trust me).

Same thing holds true for both ends of the cable.