mercriuser usually starts,then doesnt

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class
1990 4.3
I?m going for hassle free this time.. not working
I had boat professionally winterized and opened. When the guy was here opening he changed plugs checked everything out fired up no problem. The next day I started it up no problem. I was going out for the first time this year(3 days later) and tried starting up before I left. It cranked over but wouldn?t start till I killed the battery. I dumped some gas in carb and it ran then stalled. I just went and got gas thinking but not believing I ran out of gas. I got home and pumped throttle a bit and it fired right up. It took 11 gallons of gas with a 37 gal tank. I?m concerned if I take it out I?ll get stuck.
Any ideas to why this is happening?

Re: mercriuser usually starts,then doesnt

Could be a few possible things....
needle valve in carb sticking, not allowing the fuel bowl to fill back up. did you use stabilizer in the tank last year?

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class

How would I check or correct needle valve?
What are the other possible things?
Yes I used stabilizer.New in line fuel filter and filter at carb.Do fuel pumps "kinda" work?Or are they all or nothing(mechanical pump)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It could be the pump, could also be a problem in the fuel system up too the pump.

Get yourself an outboard gas tank with some fresh gas and hook it up directly to the engine fuel pump. Pour some gas in the carb to start it and see if it starts and keeps running. May take 2 or 3 tries.

This will eliminate the boats fuel system as the cause, and isolates it to the engines fuel system.

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class

It could be the pump, could also be a problem in the fuel system up too the pump.

Get yourself an outboard gas tank with some fresh gas and hook it up directly to the engine fuel pump. Pour some gas in the carb to start it and see if it starts and keeps running. May take 2 or 3 tries.

This will eliminate the boats fuel system as the cause, and isolates it to the engines fuel system.
Ill try this if it happens again.But Its running now as I said.Im tying to figure why it started fine one day then the next day it didnt and today it runs. Something must not be right somewhere.Im thinkin the fuel pump is on the fritz or a carb issue,could use advise on troubleshooting