Installed New Lowrance Elite 7 HDI Combo (rant)

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer
I installed the new Elite 7 with down scan this weekend. It's a nice sized display and it fits well at the helm (I originally thought it would be to large) It replaced my original Garmin GPSMap 188C.

My biggest gripe is the holes that have to be created through the transom and at the helm for the transducer cable "blue" connector. 1" OD... really???:confused: The Garmin connector was smaller and it is about 7-10 years older. What gives? Of course I wanted to increase the size of the original hole and ended up chewing up the gel coat in the process. One would think, with technology today, a smaller connector could have been created......

Anyway, the display, gps, etc. look really sharp. I can't wait to play with it on the water.

Ollie

agallant80

Commander
Re: Installed New Lowrance Elite 7 HDI Combo (rant)

I have the same unit. I love it. I endedup cutting the wire and soldering it then shrink wapping it. I wanted to avoid the 1" hole in my hull.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Installed New Lowrance Elite 7 HDI Combo (rant)

One would think, with technology today, a smaller connector could have been created......
You can use a smaller connector but the probability of “installer induced” damage increases exponentially. Then the complaint would be, "why did they use a connector that is so easliy damaged"