50 hp mariner tilt problems

motor dumb

Cadet
I have a 1984 50 hp mariner. When I went to use the tilt and trim today my motor will lift but will not lower. I can hear the hydraulic unit come on when lifting but nothing happens when try to lower. I checked the wire going into unit and I am getting voltage to unit but nothing happens. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

starkyb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 50 hp mariner tilt problems

Try tapping it with a screw driver while trying to trim it. If it starts to work your brushes on the inside could be worn out. Is it the original trim motor?

motor dumb

Cadet

as far as I know it is the same one, I will try tapping on the motor . THANKS will let you know if lt works

RRitt

Captain

hot wire the motor directly to battery (blue=up, green=down, black=ground). If motor operates then the problem is solenoids, relays, switches, or wiring. If the motor does not operate when hot wired then the motor is bad.

motor dumb

Cadet

I hot wired it and found the problem in the wiring I just got through rewiring and it works great. Thank you to everyone. I am new at this and I really am greatful for the help . Now I can go fishing for fathers day