MC1 water pump seal?

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class
I replaced my water pump last spring with a kit. I followed the manuals instructions and things seem to be pretty good when it is hooked up to the hose. However I have searched everywhere and cannot find a solid answer on this.

The water guide tube seems to fit tight in the top of the water pump housing just fine. However the water guide tube that slides over the copper tube in the upper unit does not have a seal, o-ring or anything. If there supposed to be a rubber seal of some kind that goes on the copper pipe to create a tight seal?

All of the diagrams I have looked at do not show one but I cannot image it is sealed without one.

If there is a seal, gasket, can someone tell me the name or part number.

As I said everything seems to be running fine, but when I split the upper and lower, there was a bunch of water sitting in the reservoir where the lower shift shaft is when it was just running on the hose/muffs, so I think the water pump is leaking at the top of the guide tube. maybe this is normal and does not matter it is leaks, but I just wanted to check and make sure I was not missing something.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Re: MC1 water pump seal?

Nope...no seal there... the plastic tube is a guide tube for the copper tube. The important thing is that your copper tube is properly joining your water pump housing to your water pocket cover (in the upper drive half). That is what makes sure you get water from the pump to the engine (via the passage in the upper drive half).
As for the water in the cavity (reservoir) where the lower shift shaft is....that is normal... and it should drain out of a small weep hole on the front of you lower assembly. Typically that will get clogged by debris and needs to be probed/cleaned so it drains properly. You've got to keep in mind that this whole area is filled with exhaust/water combination while the engine is running. You should have a rubber ring that fits tight on your vertical shaft at the top of your water pump housing. This acts as a slinger ring during operation.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: MC1 water pump seal?

No seal... Here's the clue water tube guide.

It's there to help you get the water tube into the water pump when you are putting the 2 halves of the drive back together......

Chris.........