Help guide me to my first boat

RazorJack

Recruit
So I'm beginning the process of looking for my first boat, (well, powered boat anyway), and I was hoping to get some experienced insight. I live in the greater Bremerton/Poulsbo area of on the Puget Sound in Washington state. I am seeking a boat that will be used mostly for fly fishing for salmon and sea run cutthroat. I want something that I can put in/take out by myself easily enough, and will mostly be used for crusing shorelines looking for feeding fish, and fly casting towards shore/structure etc. I would like to have enough boat for a trip to Sekiu now and then to chase silvers, but right now I don't anticipate much more use than that.

Now, I know everyone has already been telling me that no matter what I buy I will want a bigger boat in no time at all. That may be the case, but I have a pretty good feeling for how I will use a boat. While this will be my first boat purchase, I have spent my entire life in the puget sound area and I have fished my entire life. I have no interest in going off shore, crossing sand bars, and doing any big water fishing. I've fly fished for almost 20 years, and I don't see that changing much. I'm not against using gear rods now and then when fishing with non-fly fishers, or even if I had enough boat to slap on some downriggers and go chase kings... But primarily this will be a fly fishing boat for me and my 11 year old son.

So, what I'm envisioning is a 14-16' aluminum, small outboard, open floor plan. What I'd like is input on things to look for, look out for, features to seek out, floor plans, motors, brand suggestestions and just any other input you folks may have. I've done a ton of research already, and plan to do more in the future, but would love some input from those of you in the know.

Thanks so much! Nick

southkogs

Staff member
Re: Help guide me to my first boat

I think you might have a good plan in mind. I'd suggest looking for a center console type. The weight distribution on those seem more nicely laid out. How deep is the water you'll work in most of the time? I might be inclined to bump up a couple of feet (lean toward 18 - 20) so you had the option if you wanted to fish the big water some more. I'd be kinda' creeped out on the big stuff in a 14'.

That said, one of my old boats was a 16' that was used to troll on Lake Huron. I have no clue how far offshore he went with it.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Get a look at a few,post some pics on here and see what others have to say about what ya are looking at.
Grub

Chris N

Seaman Apprentice

A lot depends on your budget. If you can afford it, a 21+ ft Grady or Whaler would be the way to go. Older Sea Ray Laguna's have very seaworthy hulls for less money. I grew up boating in the Gulf and San Juan Islands and have fished both straights in everything from 12 ft aluminum runabouts to 32 ft Fairbanks. I would say to consider at least 21ft to 23 ft hulls for what you want to do. I wouldn't feel to safe making a "run" anywhere on anything smaller. I always launch and retrieve our 23 ft boat by my self, it's a piece of cake. And you'll have a helper with you so don't let that extra few feet scare you off. It's way more relaxing with a larger platform to work from, and then you won't have to be constantly listening to weather reports and watching the barometer. Good luck