hard fuel line

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have to reroute and make a new pump to carb line for my 5.7 mercruiser. I planned on using epoxy coated 3/8 steel line from auto parts store and bending to fit. I found a Sierra part number for a flexible fuel hose with the correct flare ends on it as well. Any issues I should know about either way, seems pretty straight forward unless im missing something. The flex is more expensive but would be quicker, if its close to the righ tlength

Is the original merc line steel or aluminum. Its shiny and at first i thought it might be stainless steel, but it doesnt seem heavy enough. Its non magnetic so its not regular steel.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: hard fuel line

I have to reroute and make a new pump to carb line for my 5.7 mercruiser. I planned on using epoxy coated 3/8 steel line from auto parts store and bending to fit. I found a Sierra part number for a flexible fuel hose with the correct flare ends on it as well. Any issues I should know about either way, seems pretty straight forward unless im missing something. The flex is more expensive but would be quicker, if its close to the righ tlength

Is the original merc line steel or aluminum. Its shiny and at first i thought it might be stainless steel, but it doesnt seem heavy enough. Its non magnetic so its not regular steel.

Howdy,

Most of them are stainless steel. Stainless steel will be somewhat lighter than a similar sized mild steel line.

If it's non-magnetic and you cannot easily bend it, it's SS.

If you can bend it and scratch it easily, and it's light, it is likely aluminum. I don't think Mercury uses aluminum for an "engine-side" fuel line.

FEDERAL LAW
183.538 - Metallic fuel line materials
Each metallic fuel line connecting the fuel tank with the fuel inlet connection on the engine must:
(a) be made of seamless annealed copper, nickel copper, or copper nickel; and
(b) except for corrugated flexible fuel line, have a minimum wall thickness of 0.029 inches.

If metal is used for any portion of the fuel line (except for fittings) from the tank connection to the engine connection (usually at the fuel pump), the metallic fuel line portions must be seamless, annealed:
(1) Copper;
(2) Nickel copper (Monel); or
(3) Copper-nickel.
No other metals are permitted.
Also, the thickness of the tubing wall must be at least 0.029 inches unless the fuel line portion is a corrugated or accordion type of flexible fuel line. Tubing is available with thinner wall thicknesses, but they SHALL NOT be used.
emphasis mine.....

Metal fuel lines used on the engine, i.e. the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor, may be made of materials other than those listed. This line is usually supplied with the engine.

Everything above I found using a simple google search......

The engine fuel lines on my previously installed OMC V-8 and my currently installed Mercruiser engine are stainless steel.

If you want to read more about USCG requirements go to uscgboating.org