1965 Winner Sprite restoration

I have a winner sprite that has been sitting in my parents front yard for some time now, and I want to get it running again! I am pretty sure it is a 1979 (based on the serial #, is that correct?). It is from 1950's to the 60's. I have been reading on this forum and have found a lot of helpfull information. I was not able to find much at all on this boat (winner sprite), and have a few questions. I know that I will have to replace the transom core because it is most likely rotted, possably the floor as well. I have seen tutorials for both of those so that should not be too bad.

I had taken out the old bench seat a few years ago, and made a new one out of plywood that is in their garage. What is the best way for me to start this restoration? How important is it that the floors get redone? I was thinking that it would go transom -> floors? -> misc fiberglass patches -> bench seat -> engine/controlls/steering -> windsheild/clean outside.

I want to take off the 20hp mercury outboard that is dead (parents told me it was dead), and put on a 50hp merc that I have from my friends boat. They are both long shaft, so I think it should work. The steering was done with pullys in his boat and in the winner, so I was hoping that I could just buy new cables and pullys (unless it makes more sense for a diffrent type of steering) Will this boat be able to handle the 50hp engine?

Will this plan work? I have access to plenty of tools, but do not know what is best for me to buy (epoxy, fiberglass stuff).

I attached photos of the boat, transom, other merc engine, and the floor.

Thanks you guys for looking!

IMAG0555.jpgIMAG0563.jpgboat.jpg50hp.jpgrear inside.jpg

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 Winner Sprite restoration

Welcome to iBoats!

What's the Length and Beam of the Boat? If she's 14' then I'd think a 30 maybe 40 hp is gunna be about max for her. You might get by with a 50 if you put some weight up front. Very KOOL looking boat. Never seen one before. I'd put the Merc on CL. Lot's of people like restoring the Old Mercs for their fishing boats.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

Welcome to iBoats!

What's the Length and Beam of the Boat? If she's 14' then I'd think a 30 maybe 40 hp is gunna be about max for her. You might get by with a 50 if you put some weight up front. Very KOOL looking boat. Never seen one before. I'd put the Merc on CL. Lot's of people like restoring the Old Mercs for their fishing boats.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

Thanks! I'm not sure on the length of the boat now, I will measure it soon and let you know. I thought that once I got the model year and name I would be able to find some specs online, but ive only seen it mentioned a few times on google. I even tried the boat lookup here on iboats without any luck. I havent officially 'bought' the engine from my friend yet, but I thought that the bigger it is, the faster it'd go! the main issue with the 50hp engine would be the weight difference, raising the bow too much? I think it looks cool too, and hope to get her running soon!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I looked on Fiberglassics.com. http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/WinnerCould not find a SPRITE listed and it only goes to 73'. Are you sure it's a "Sprite".
Not sure if your Serial# is indicating its a 79' It sure looks Older than that.

I looked on Fiberglassics.com. Winner - Classic Boat LibraryCould not find a SPRITE listed and it only goes to 73'. Are you sure it's a "Sprite".
Not sure if your Serial# is indicating its a 79' It sure looks Older than that.

I'm not sure about the year, I based that information off of the serial# which was 19795. I am pretty sure it is a Sprite. I attached some more pictures that I took over the weekend where it shows the model name.

Thanks!

Attachments

• sprite.jpg
    sprite.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 3
  • steering wheel.jpg
    steering wheel.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 3

Welcome to iBoats!

WelcomeAboard.jpg

I had my dad measure the boat, he said its 13ft long, and 5'9" at the widest part... is it actually unsafe to have a bigger engine? or will it just go faster haha?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Unsafe. Both Weight wise, and power wise. Two much power can cause handling and loss of control issue while on the water especially for such a small boat. For a 13 foot boat, the motor that's on there is just about right. I MIGHT go to a 30 hp but that's about it.

Based on your pics and what I'm seeing on here...
http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Winner

I'd say this boat is from the late 50's or early 60's. They have some 12 footers listed with a HP rating of 25 hp so again I'd think for your 13 footer 30 hp is about all I'd go with.

You will need to really check the transom and stringers for rot. Is the deck soft and or spongy feeling?

Unsafe. Both Weight wise, and power wise. Two much power can cause handling and loss of control issue while on the water especially for such a small boat. For a 13 foot boat, the motor that's on there is just about right. I MIGHT go to a 30 hp but that's about it.

Based on your pics and what I'm seeing on here...
Winner - Classic Boat Library

I'd say this boat is from the late 50's or early 60's. They have some 12 footers listed with a HP rating of 25 hp so again I'd think for your 13 footer 30 hp is about all I'd go with.

You will need to really check the transom and stringers for rot. Is the deck soft and or spongy feeling?

thanks for showing me that site!
File:Winnerb64005.jpg - Classic Boat Library I think I found it here, but I still dont know how to tell exactly what year it is. there are definatly some 'squishy' spots on the deck, and I'm 90% sure I'll have to redo the transom.
File:Winnerbb003.jpg - Classic Boat Library has a 1965 listed as 13'3" long and 69" beam. its aslo listed as 65hp max!
I also saw it listed in 1961 and 1962 at 14'1" and 13'5" File:Winnerbb002.jpg - Classic Boat Library
I'll ask my dad if he rounded at all in his measurment

I attached another picture of the floor

Attachments

• floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 2

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1950's - 1960's Winner Sprite restoration

Yep, You got it!!! With the knee brace on the transom if you rebuild it like you find it she'll be fine. If you put a 50 - 65 HP on that lil' boat she will absolutely FLY!!!!! She'll also be an Eye Catcher!!! Really nice lines!!! I'll really be watching this one. Take plenty of measurements and pictures now so you'll have them for reference down the road.

Yep, You got it!!! With the knee brace on the transom if you rebuild it like you find it she'll be fine. If you put a 50 - 65 HP on that lil' boat she will absolutely FLY!!!!! She'll also be an Eye Catcher!!! Really nice lines!!! I'll really be watching this one. Take plenty of measurements and pictures now so you'll have them for reference down the road.

yea, thanks! my dad said he thinks 1965 sounds right too. What do you think the best way to start is? if there are squishy parts on the deck should I repair that as well? What should I start on first? the deck or transom? what would you recomend for me to buy? Should I look for marine grade plywood or some ext. grade stuff at lowes? is there certian epoxy that is better than others? sorry for asking so many questions haha, I want to fix her up right and will spend a little more if it will make it last longer! I'm sure you've answered many similar questions like this, so a link somewhere is fine. Just point me in the right direction.

Thanks again for all the help!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 Winner Sprite restoration

The first link in my signature below is a good place to start. It has diagrams and info on everything you will be doing.
I'd say the deck needs to come out first then the stringers and the transom. Take her all the way to the Bare fiberglass hull and start from scratch. Where are you located? I can give you the locations of suppliers in your area to save you shipping costs. sphelps, gt1000000 , jon sob ( his boat is a small one similar to yours), craigweaver, Troper82 and others have some good threads here on the forum where you can learn alot from their pics and what they have done on their boats.

Thanks, I was looking through the links in your sig, and found some other good threads in the sticky section. I'm located in Connecticut, near Hartford. It seems like what you said makes the most sense. Basically take out the deck and stringers first, measuring them as I go, then the transom last. Take a bunch of pictures, and put new wood back in ther with help from the tutorials here. The 50hp engine should be safe and FAST!

Thanks again for helping me find the model year!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Make sure and get the Proper PPE and tools to do the job! Makes things a lot safer and easier.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You will have to remove the cap of your boat to replace the transom. The design yields you no other option.

Aldridge

Recruit
Hey fleetwoodwalker,
Just seen where you have a 1965 Winner Sprite. I also have 65 Sprite, mine is red where yours is blue. Ours is original to the way my grandparents bought it in 1965 (Still have the check they wrote). Spent hours cleaning and buffing by hand to bring back the shine. Yours is the only other one that I?ve run across in the 9 years that we?ve enjoyed ours. The skis was part of the package when they in 65. 1965 NADA shows a max hp to be 65hp. Being that I?ve run this with a 1958 35hp Evinrude lark, I wouldn?t want anything bigger than the 50hp do to the max weight limit is VERY low. Granddads stories told me that there were two more of these boats around here. Both sunk cause of too big of motors.
Good luck with the restore

boat ski small.JPG Picture  52405 004.jpg

Attachments

• 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 2

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Aldridge - fleetwood hasn't visited in over a year and a half. Please do no post in threads which have been inactive for 3 months or more. Thanks.

Sammy1949

Recruit
I bought a new sprite in 1963 and put a 50 merc on it. was a great boat used to barefoot with no problem

Mod EDIT solicitation removed

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Sammy,
This was posted a 8 months ago:
Aldridge - fleetwood hasn't visited in over a year and a half. Please do no post in threads which have been inactive for 3 months or more. Thanks.
There has been no recent activity by fleetwood in this topic since.

Please refrain from posting in active topics, and solicitation isn't permitted on the iboats forum