73 model 65 horse Johnson Q?

OldJohnson1

Recruit
Just got a boat real cheap with a 73 model 65 horse Johnson. Motor cranks really well, and sometimes will hit right off the bat and run fine and others will crank for up to 3-4 minutes before hitting. Not really mechanically savvy but any info on what might be wrong would help. Here is what i know now, the guy i bought it from has already cleaned and rebuilt carbs and replaced all 3 coils new. Any ideas? Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 73 model 65 horse Johnson Q?

In detail... what is your starting procedure?

OldJohnson1

Recruit

Push release button to move choke throttle to start, turn key to on position, engage choke toggle under key, turn key. Cranks and cranks most often without hitting but abter 3-4 minutes will hear it begin to hit and then will fire right up. Not sure on exact name of intial choke lever but it speeds up the idle. Also check the gas bulb each time to make sure it is tight.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

It sounds like you're having a problem getting fuel to the cylinders at first... but after once starting, the fuel is there so the engine starts fine after warming up.

Remove the carburetor face plate to see if the choke butterflies are actually closing when you engage the choke toggle switch.

If they do not..... check to see if the ignition switch has been replaced with the "push to choke" type ignition switch (key pushes in), and if so, push the key in to see if that causes the choke butterflies to close.

The initial choke lever if you're speaking of the small lever attached to the control box, has nothing to do with the choke. That is a idle warm up lever that simply advances the throttle slightly without putting the engine into gear.

Proper cold engine starting procedure is:

1 - Pump up fuel primer bulb until it is hard.
2 - Raise the idle warm up lever somewhat.
3 - Turn the key to the START position and ENGAGE THE CHOKE... keep the choke engaged until the engine fires and starts.
4 - Release the key to the RUN position and lower the idle lever as the engine warms up.

OldJohnson1

Recruit

Thanks I will look at that. I actually tried it this AM walking out to the truck. Lifted choke and pushed key in and it hit very quickly. Didn't have my dog ears handy to hook it up to see if it would start. Will try tonight.