QUESTION: repairing screw holes

w103pcm

Seaman Apprentice
I have a project boat and I took off the cleats to get new ones. The new ones look great, ecept that you can see holes underneath from the old hardware. What would the best way to cover those and make them look good be? Do I have to make an effore to fiberglass that down with mat and resin, or will some Bondo or something cover that?

Sean Riddle

Seaman
Re: QUESTION: repairing screw holes

Thickened epoxy will be your best bet PCM. You can use cabosil or fibers if you can do the patching from under the railing or hull. If no cracks around holes you can prob tape up holes on topside and mash thickened epoxy mixture in from the bottom and let cure for a nice clean look. Some people also use Marine-Tex for small filling jobs too!!! Hope this helps, RR

w103pcm

Seaman Apprentice
Re: QUESTION: repairing screw holes

Thanks! I never thought restoring a boat would be this toough!<br /><br />Any kind of epoxy will do? Some of the screw holes do have surface cracks around them. Any ideas on what to do about that? Fill it with Marine-Tex?<br /><br />Also, where do you buy that stuff? There aren't any marinas close to me. This probably isn't something the local Wal-Mart or hardware store would carry, is it?