Approximate value of 34' silverton

Extensor

Recruit
Thinking of getting a 34' Silverton and wondering what an approximate value would be. Not sure of the year but it looks like about a '79. I would say its in fair condition cosmetically, both engines run (6.9L Ford diesels with V-Drives). There is some snow damage to the lip running around the cockpit and also to the bracing under the cockpit floor. The bulkhead in front of the engines and batteries has a crack in it. The boat is located in Valdez, Alaska. Any thoughts?

Thanks

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Approximate value of 34' silverton

Welcome to iboats, Extensor!
The value of an older boat is all about it's overall condition- mechanical, exterior, interior, and (most important) structural.
That said, the used big boat market has been in the toilet for the past 4 or 5 years, so even if she's in nice shape, the value is diminished simply by supply (high) and demand (low).
That boat originally had Chrysler or Crusader gas engines, so the diesels are definitely transplants. My next question would be 'How does it run in the water?' because the diesels will change the dynamics of the boat, likely requiring (at least) prop changes, and possibly gearing changes. They are also heavier than the gassers.
Nobody here can give you an accurate value without seeing and sea-trialing it.
Hire a professional surveyor to help you establish value.

Extensor

Recruit

Thanks for the info. Just as a frame of reference we were going to do a trade and I figure my trade stock is worth about $12,000

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Yep that's about what its' worth!

My friend charter fishes one, just put $20,000 into it. It's worth about $10,000 it you can find someone to buy it.
Cherry one's go for $25,000.

Who did the diesel conversion? Shafts, props all changed?

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Would like to have one again. Would easily go much newer but there is a lack of dock space for the big ones near my home. The next biggest problem would be to be certain the admiral did not see the fuel expenses.

Extensor

Recruit

Yeah I kinda figured that was about right for value. I'm not expecting to be able to recoup my investment plus whatever I need to put into it to get it back in decent shape. It's been my experience on old vehicles that you can almost never get out of them what you've got in for a restoration (unless they're rare and original).
As for the diesels I have no idea who did the conversion or if the props and shafts were also redone. If I decide to buy this thing the first place it's going is into dry dock so I can check it out structurally and mechanically.