Drain for the intermediate 1977 omc electric shift

77americaneagle

Seaman Apprentice
Where the arrow is pointing is this the drain for the intermediate? Nothing shows up in the seloc manual or my owners manual for a drain. DSCN3063.jpg

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Drain for the intermediate 1977 omc electric shift

no, the drain is on the other side of the ball gear somewhere below the steering gear. Not all intermediates had a drain though. I've had to vacuum the oil out with my oil sampling tool before on a couple - I woulda thought 1977s had a drain though.
You can see it in this pic below the steering gear- regular slotted plug like the lower unit
http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/jg4JngIzGx4/hqdefault.jpg

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Correctamundo, Howard, electric shift IH's did not have a drain. Gotta suck it out. I do not remember the volume but it is not a lot and you want to be sure to fill it up, right to the opening.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

sounds like a straw and my mouth lol

Not necessarily. I have a hand held suction pump that I bought years ago at an auto parts store. Don't remember where and I went out and looked at it and there are no marks, logos or names on it. It looks exactly like a grease gun metal tube. It has a T-handle on one end and a little flexible tube on the other. You dip the tube in the fluid and pull the handle and it draws up any fluid. I use this thing all the time but for the life of me, I cannot find one on the internet.

It is perfect for what you need. In fact, when I pulled the electric shift IH out of my boat for a floor repair, that is what I used to suck the fluid out of the drive.