Is this exhaust manifold/elbow toast?

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer
Hello folks. I am going after a ticking in my 1983 470/3.7 and thought maybe it was the flapper after using a stethascope and getting alot of noise at the flapper location. Unfortunately the flapper looks intact. There was alot of metal chunks in there from what looks like probably came from my exhaust manny/elbow. Please have a look at the neck in my attachments. It looks pretty corroded on the outside and alot of carbon buildup inside. Please give your opinions as to whether you think this thing is toast. I can probably wire brush it up and may get a decent seal by epoxying the neck smooth and chipping away the carbon but let me know what you pros think. Replacements are not crazy money and i think the base is aluminum and this corroded thing is cast. May save a little weight with a new alumi one but am on a budget.
Thank you.

Attachments

• exhaust manny-elbow2-2.jpg
    exhaust manny-elbow2-2.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 0
  • exhaust manny-elbow1-1.jpg
    exhaust manny-elbow1-1.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 0
  • exhaust manny-elbow7-7.jpg
    exhaust manny-elbow7-7.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 0

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Is this exhaust manifold/elbow toast?

Doesn't look too bad to me. If it doesn't leak when you get it cleaned up and water flows freely through the water passage, seems to me that it would be serviceable. Just IMHO.

makonnen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Scrape away the gasket to bare metal and post again.

tpenfield

Staff member

Looks quite serviceable. The mating surfaces for manifold and riser/elbow are what is going to be critical, and they look OK. How is the mating surface to the cylinder head ports?

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

The only mating surface is the square shown in the pic (and that is in good shape) and the neck (not so good). I guess i am questioning whether there are internal passages that may be corroded also that are critical or if it is just a holding tank for antifreeze. If it's the latter i imagine i can just clean it up. I will post after pics.

Thank you.

TilliamWe

Banned

Sure the water jackets could be corroded. But judging from your pictures, they wouldn't be. That's a pretty decent looking exhaust manifold/riser in my opinion.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

Obviously, we can't tell what's going on inside them, but the outsides and mating serfaces looking pretty good to me. Clean them and put them back. Keep an eye out for any sign of leakage as the season progresses. Hy