72 Wellcraft Info

jechamp

Recruit
My dad has just purchased a 17' 1972 Wellcraft that we are sharing. It is a center console model with an 1978 85HP Evinrude o/b. I have done many searches on the internet, but have not found another like it. Does anybody know what this model was called? I'm trying to find some pics to see how it is supposed to look.

BQMatt

Cadet
Re: 72 Wellcraft Info

I have a few things you might try if you haven't already...<br /><br />Last summer I was looking for info on a boat manufactured by a company that is no longer in business. I wasn't sure of the make or model. I know that somewhere I came across a website that listed a bunch of manufacturers. It was geared toward recalls (I think) involving certain Hull Identification Numbers(HIN). May have been the Coast Guard website. If you can determine exactly which model of boat you have, you might get some pictures of boats that are listed for sale online. I don't know what the requirements in 1972 were for HINs and other capacity plates were, but this info may also be posted on your boat somewhere. <br /><br />The other thing you can try is to call Wellcraft to see if they can point you in the right direction. Wellcraft does not have a dealer in my area, but I'm pretty sure they are still in business. A quick web search will tell you at least that. If they are no longer in the boat manufacturing business, try searching Brunswick Marine. The last I heard, Wellcraft was purchased by Brunswick.<br /><br />If these are things you've already tried, I'm sorry I'm not more help, but I figured no else has replied, so I'd at least check in.<br /><br />Good luck with it!