Buying a Boat - Need Advise

Ctapken

Recruit
Hey all,
First post....
Buying a 2006 Chaparral 180 SSI with a Volvo 3.0 Penta. 200hrs. Comes with Aluminum Trailer
Price is 10k..... This boat will need a bit of work, here is what I noticed:
1. Needs new prop
2. Engine idle's at 1200-1500 (likely cable just needs an adjustment)
3. Because of idle (owner didn't' know any better), but drives it like that, hence slams into gear.
4. Noted that engine over revs at WOT, 5000 RPM (needs new prop), but he's been running it like that.
5. Supposed all maintenance has been done, but owner didn't know key terms like Bellows, an Impeller....
6. Interior is really good. Just needs some TLC and cleaning.
7. All fluids look good.

NADA Price for low retail is 10,600. I am very mechanical and can likely do any and all work needed.

So is 10K a good deal or should I haggle down?
Thanks,
Chris

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Buying a Boat - Need Advise

I would have it inspected by a boat inspector. Then go from there. Just my 2 cents.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: Buying a Boat - Need Advise

Welcome aboard.

With your description, the potential problems and you being so close to Atlanta and Lake Lanier, I'd personally be inclined to keep looking. You have too many options in that part of the world that are well cared for.

Chap is a good boat, and the Volvo's are a good drive. But the current owner just didn't take care of the boat, and that could lead to a host of things popping up later on. On paper $10k is probably an "okay" deal, but your description of the boat and it's condition gives me "the willies."

If you know a marine mechanic who you trust, then an "A-Okay" by them may change my mind.