Name this mystery part ?????

Arlie

Cadet
HI lets start with the basics. I just picked up 1973 hurricane fun deck,deck boat.jpg with a 188 hp mercruiser (302 ford 2bbl).1973 302 ford.jpg Pre alpha 888 stern drive.The one with big eye hook loop on top. engine #3601224 stern drive #3607063. I was working on the cooling system ( thred, cooling raw water???) when I found some thing wedged in the prop between prop and prop hub. It was slightly rubbing on the tab washer and cover nut (64 65) for bearing carrier.Mercruiser-drawing-sterndrive-parts-58-72.jpg To the point, what is this part or is it even part of the boat?mistery part.jpg the part is a half circle plate. two metal plates with rubber in between and rubber on both outter sides. I have looked over several diagrams for stern drives and can't find anything that looks close. Thanks for the help:noidea:

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Name this mystery part ?????

exhaust shutter

located in the exhaust y-pipe, melted and came loose due to engine overheat at some point

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Exhaust flapper!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

.... Pre alpha 888 stern drive.....

Nope!! The '888' is the engine model (8 cylinder, 188hp). The model of the drive is 'Mercruiser-1', shortened to 'MC-1'....

And that drawing looks suspiciously like a seloc or clymer.. :facepalm:And that's why you can't find your mystery part (exhaust shutter)....

Arlie

Cadet

You guys are awsome:hail: Should have mentioned noob to BOAT mechanics. Link to diagram for my engine and or stern drive would be greatly appreciated. Looks like dry rot on rubber no indication of melting but what do i know lol . Boat was sitting for two years in the woods be for she was rescued. Also could you explain what this parts function is and what problem not having it will cause. Links for threads to this part to save you some typing would great. Again thanks for taking the time to help educate me and save me a boat load of $$$.

Arlie

Cadet

SWEET response. Even better showed where it is located and general price. thanks thanks thanks. any other help on this part very welcome.

Arlie

Cadet

Sorry, also thanks for explaining the model was having some trouble, don't like sounding like I have no clue and should stick with row boat lol.