Steering Wheel replacement

JTSing1

Cadet
I'm looking to replace the steering wheel on my 2003 Crownline 180BR. What do I need to know, and anything I should be aware of??? Your comments are always appreciated!

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Steering Wheel replacement

just remove the nut holding the wheel on, and remove the wheel. its a tapered shaft, it should slide right off but in some cases it gets a little stuck and needs a swift tap on the center nut (after loosening the nut but leave the nut on to keep from burring the end of the shaft.) while pulling up on the wheel and it should slip right off. it has a key way with a piece of keystock (half moon shaped) that may go flying if not careful when the wheel is removed. the new wheel will only go on the same way so pay attention to the key way so that you can re install it. it *should* be a 15 minute job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PHNAQWXGMA this should help you.

JTSing1

Cadet

Man that's perfect! I got it done, it was actually a lot easier than I thought. Thank you so much for your advice.

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man that's perfect! I got it done, it was actually a lot easier than I thought. Thank you so much for your advice.

no problem. that's what were here for. I was once new to this too. and now im paying it forward, just as im sure you will once you gain some knowledge. stay around and welcome to iboats, its a great place to hang around and learn/teach boating stuff. I haven't found a problem that someone hasn't been able to help. so welcome aboard and look forward to hearing back about your adventures and mishaps. in the motorcycle world we call silly mistakes "rolling blunders" maybe we should dub some boat mistakes a floating blunder. lol they will happen no matter how hard you try not to.

JTSing1

Cadet

I will stick around for sure... really enjoying the whole learning experience. I honestly cannot tell you how much I appreciate your advice, us Georgia natives have to stick together haha! I'm looking forward to being able to sharing some wisdom in the future. Take care bud.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

A new wheel is a nice way to dress up a console. I couldn't resist this one last year. It just sort of showed up in a UPS box.

new consol 10.JPG