Hit a rock, now out drive is cracked

covski

Recruit
Hey guys I'm new to the forum, and my day has been really bad so hopefully someone can give me good news. I hit a rock today on my 2003 Larson 180, with a 3.0 Volvo penta. After I hit the rock I stopped, thought I just broke the prop, and proceeded to drive to the ramp. I was driving under 10 and experienced some shaking. The motor sounded fine it just shook. I am praying that I won't have to spend over two grand and its just the lower unit that has to be replaced, but you guys are the experts so.

Thanks,
Justin

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hit a rock, now out drive is cracked

All the oil came out when it broke, I can't imagine running the upper on water to get back to the dock did the upper any good. you need a drive.

covski

Recruit

Thank you Don, does anyone have a website or company they use for cheap salvaged parts? I've been searching eBay and found one for 1,400 but I'm hoping I can find something for under a thousand dollars.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thank you Don, does anyone have a website or company they use for cheap salvaged parts? I've been searching eBay and found one for 1,400 but I'm hoping I can find something for under a thousand dollars.

They are out there - I just sold a SX drive I had for around that price. Keep an eye out and you'll find one. Start calling marine salvage yards and find a rotted boat with the outdrive.

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

covski,

Try Shipwreck Salvage. Google the name as I don't know their web site.
Their email is EDIT Please don't post peoples email address on the forum, send them to the OP in a private message if necessary.

They have been good for me and prompt in service.
I'd have the alignment checked also after you put a new one on. You hit that pretty hard and could have shifted something.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

stupid question - do you have checked if you are insured against such accidents ?

with luck its a better idea to call the insurance and not a salvage yard.

Larson5.7

Cadet

I am not an expert here - but I hit a rock with my cobra sx - not as bad as a crack as yours was - (I sealed it was marine weld) - I was about 10 miles out (salt water) and ran it all the way home - by the time I got back it was not happy about going into or out of gear.

I sealed it - refilled it - ran it an hour or two; drained it and repeated 3-4 times to flush it good; that was 4 seasons and 100+ hours - so far - NO PROBLEMS with the outdrive.

jsturvey

Seaman

Impact probably bent the prop shaft which is where the shaking could be coming from. All you may need is a lower unit. But that is just an optimistic appraisal of the damage and description.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am not an expert here - but I hit a rock with my cobra sx - not as bad as a crack as yours was - (I sealed it was marine weld) - I was about 10 miles out (salt water) and ran it all the way home - by the time I got back it was not happy about going into or out of gear.

I sealed it - refilled it - ran it an hour or two; drained it and repeated 3-4 times to flush it good; that was 4 seasons and 100+ hours - so far - NO PROBLEMS with the outdrive.

Look at his picture, the carrier is even broke, you can see the bearing inside the carrier and see inside of the drive. I somehow think the drive is a little past using any bondo to fix.

The vibration probably has something to do with support for the prop shaft no longer being there, plus the fact that half of one blade on the prop is missing.

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

Used drives are out there. I got a used Volvo 280 drive for $400. Though not the same, you should be able to find one. Be willing to wait and look for a few weeks.