New project - stringer questions

Gas Giant

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay, let me start off by identifying the boat in question. I picked up a 24' 1980 Answer Marine hardtop as a project. This is my first fiberglass boat project; my last one was an aluminum Starcraft Chieftan (which I still have!)

The floor in the open deck area of the boat was made of these two large, removable fiberglass panels. I've since patched those with new wood, but they aren't back in the boat yet.

When I took a look at the stringers, wow - they are skinny. When I helped a friend on his Cobia, the stringers were several times thicker than these. I'm assuming my boat gets it's strength elsewhere.

However, the stringers are essentially hollow. I don't know if what wood in there rotted away (this boat pretty much needs all new wood - more experience might have steered me clear of this project, but I do love the look and layout of this particular boat) or if they were always hollow.

So, here are some of my newbie questions.

What should I do to repair them? The fiberglass that makes the stringers up is pretty strong (I can stand on it no problem, and I'm not small). Would it be best to cut the tops off, clean out whatever garbage may be in there from the old wood, put new wood in and fiberglass over the top? Or should I completely cut the stringers out and make new ones out of glass and wood?

Since this boat has a cabin, it renders the stringers up front kind of impossible to access. To get to them, I'll have to do exploratory surgery on the fiberglass in the cabin and in the area where the passenger and driver's seats are under the hardtop. Since access will be difficult, is it acceptable to make the stringers out of more than one piece of wood joined together? (I also don't know where I'd get a 24' piece of wood, or how I would transport a 24' piece of wood if I did find one.)

Another option I heard about, and this one is probably up for debate, is to leave the stringers hollow and laminate a few layers of heavy woven glass over them. The source for this info told me that fiberglass itself can be very strong, which I suppose is correct considering the entire hull is made of it.

Anyway, here is a pic of the stringers: (Ignore the fuel tank, it's coming out tomorrow to be cleaned at a local radiator shop)

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j152/V8PunkRocket/RearFloorArea_zpseb6a295d.jpg

I appreciate any advice. I'll be posting more as I progress through this. I know I have some areas in the bow that are very weak and need attention.

Gas Giant

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New project - stringer questions

Here's what the entire boat looks like:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi and welcome to the Dry Dock, GG...

That is a nice looking boat and it has some nice lines to it...

A little exploratory drilling into the stringers will let you know what is inside them...you may find something that resembles mulch...
From the pic you posted, they look way too thin to be of a composite type construction...meaning that a foam core, or even a cardboard core, was used to create the shape and many, many layers of fiberglass are laid on them to create the necessary strength...sometimes over half an inch thick of fiberglass...
My best guess is they are made of plywood wrapped in fiberglass...
If that is the way it is designed, the structural integrity comes from both the fiberglass and the wood...
You will NOT be able to just hollow them out and fill them, because the adherence between the two substrates, the fiberglass and wood depend on each other for the structure...and the only way fiberglass adheres to wood is by sanding it, kind of hard to do to the interior of the hollowed out stringer casings...
You will need to remove all traces of them and completely rebuild them...along with any other parts of the boat that are rotten...
Quite the monumental task in a boat this big, but it has been and can be done...
Good Luck,
GT1M

Gas Giant

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the information. I've got a plan coming together to replace these things along the lines with what you said. I'll post pics as I progress.