Mercury kiekhaefer 650 No Spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

will19984713

Cadet
Hello,

I am new to the forum and hope i can learn and share any knowlegde that i have. I have aquired a mercury kiekhaefer 650. I have checked all the wiring diagrams and everything seems to be in order. Only thing is i am not getting a spark. It has a magneto on it. The wiring seems fairly simple. Only thing thats missing is the rectifier. Would this be anything to do with it not having a spark.

Any help or opinions would be great.

Thank you in advance

Will

Laddies

Banned
Re: Mercury kiekhaefer 650 No Spark

There are about a dozen different 650 which one might you have or at lest the serial number

will19984713

Cadet

Hi thank you for the reply. Where will find that. The number on the side of the block is 834 1851. Number on the magneto is 3163.

Thank you

matt167

Captain

You need the serial from the tilt tube... 650 started out using the old Mag setup, then in '66 it went to the Thunderbolt and then when the 650 went 3cyl it changed a little again..

will19984713

Cadet

Hello thanks for the response. Unfortunately the plate with the serial number on it isnt present. I know its got the magneto though!

Laddies

Banned

If it's magneto remove the top cowl, the stop wire, the ground wire from the mag, there are a couple of clips that hold the plug wires to the exhaust cover take the plug wires from the plugs and let them hang outside the cowl next remove the timing stop plate(do not turn the timing or idle stop screws) just remove the 2 bolts that hold it to the front of the engine block then the throttle cable from the advance arm. That will leave the 4 bolts that hold the magneto to the tower after removing them the mag will drop down and can be removed from the engine(it's got a blind spline to line it up on assm) Now remove the cap be careful it's almost $300 next the mag cover again a costly item and as you remove it the rotor will come off the shaft, it will require some pressure to remove it. The points should be dwelled at 48 or gapped at .011 if you have a magneto and condenser tester available test the coil and condenser, if not the coil should OHM about 50 both sides, when repaired just turning the shaft the coil should jump about 5/8" before installing it cover and cap. Piece of Cake

will19984713

Cadet

Hello. Thank you very much for the reply. Would there be any other reason why there is no spark. Is it a fairly simple engine electrically? Also would i be better off breaking the engine. It seems the parts are very expensive?

matt167

Captain

Parts are expensive because they are NLA and some sellers like to make $$$ on NLA parts.. A spare mag can be had on Ebay usually for $150 or less and that usually gets a good cap, rotor, mag cover, likely usable points and probably a good coil.. Any one of those parts can get $100+ used, but points can sometimes be had for less than $50... It's not a complex system or much to go wrong so if you don't break anything, there is zero cost unless you want a new set of points or need a condensor.. The condensor is probably the cheapest part to the ignition system beyond the plugs. About $9 for it but it's still available and has not been discontinued

will19984713

Cadet

Thank you for the response. So if I take the bottom cap off the magneto and check the points to make sure they are correct that should do it? Is there any way I can upload a photo of inside the magneto so you can see if it all looks normal?

matt167

Captain

3 things make the ignition system work. points, condensor and the coil. If you ohm the coil, check or replace the condensor and adjust the points, you should get spark

will19984713

Cadet

Thank you again for the reply. I will check the coil this morning. Does anyone knownwhere i can download/buy a parts manual.

Thank you

will19984713

Cadet

Hello. Thank you for the reply. I will have a look now and post back with thr numbers that i find.

Will

will19984713

Cadet

The only numbers i can find are: 3163 model 4d-4 on the magneto and 46298 on the block the same side as the magneto. Does this help?
Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here's a magneto illustration. The 4D mag was used on Mercs for a long time. I have no idea if this is a diagram for your 650, but it's a good reference. Mercury Marine 650 (4 CYL.) MAGNETO ASSEMBLY (INTERNAL PARTS) Parts

Be extremely careful with parts 38 and 35, the cap and rotor. Mucho dinero! Follow Laddies directions above to remove the mag and clean all the contacts inside. When a motor sits, sometimes the brass contacts inside get the green corrosion. My motor sat for years and had no spark until I cleaned the mag insides.

How are you checking for spark? Just want to know if we are on the same page.

will19984713

Cadet

Thank you very much for the reply. I am checking for a spark by putting the plug onto the lead and earthing it and then spinning the engine over with the starter.

Will

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Are the controls hooked up? And is the key on?

Laddies

Banned

All 4D magnetos are basically the same

will19984713

Cadet

Hello. Ga boater: controlls are all hooked up. I am using the key start to spin the engine over. There is a salmon coloured wire from the side of the magneto that goes down into the wiring from the controls. That was broken off so i have replaced that from.the magneto to where the wire goes into the connection to the controls. Would that wire stop it from.sparking. It still doesnt spark now i have replaced that but i just wondered.

Thanks

will19984713

Cadet

Hello, I have the magneto off and cleaning and gapping the points. Does anyone know where I can buy or download a parts manual.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.