Replacing trailer bunks

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was wondering if there is a best kind of wood for my bunks. I've thought about treated lumber or that artificial stuff they use on a backyard deck or just regular pine. My bunks are 12 foot long 2 X 6's. Any ideas?

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Replacing trailer bunks

Southern yellow pine well painted or sealed is reputed to be the best choice. Treated is not recommended because of the chemicals leaching (very bad for tin boats). The plastic stuff is not available in 2x stock.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

I don't remember what I used but it was probably pine or fir from home depot, 2x6. I wouldn't use pressure treated. The reality is that every once in a while they will need to be replaced.

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you ever saw the artificial wood boards laying on an uneven surface for very long, you'd see why it's not suitable for bunks. Needs many more support points than bunk structures provide.

Highlander70

Cadet

i have seen a few threads that have used pressure treated but on fiberglass boats.
So is it just tin boats that you shouldnt use pressure treated? just wondering why is all.
Thanks

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

The chemicals used to treat the wood can corrode the metal. Even the fife of hot dipped galvanized nails and fasteners are affected. The old CCA style wasn't quite as harmful as the new stuff.

Jonnybbad

Petty Officer 1st Class

The old treated lumber used arsenic, which is poisonous, but not corrosive. The new method uses copper, which will corrode other dissimilar metals when in contact, including when wet carpet separates the metals.

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used Home Depot 12 ft 2X6's. They seemed to work fine. I got them installed yesterday at the Provo Marina on Utah Lake. I love these projects. Whenever I'm working on my boat, I'm good. Thanks for your help.