Have a '85 90hp VRO Evinrude no spark.

TBTech24

Seaman
Ran then sputtered at the dock and now no spark. One thing I noticed the binnacle doesn't have the dead man switch hooked up. One black yellow wire goes from key switch through main harness to motor. The other one is inside the binnacle about two inches long and is going to nothing. There is a whole where the switch should be. The motor ran without the kill switch so im not sure that's it. Looking to get the ohms test for the ignition components on the motor. Cd pack Coil Stator trigger. Anyone able to help?

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Have a '85 90hp VRO Evinrude no spark.

Disconnect the main harness at the engine. It will be a large red plug. Crank the engine over by jumping the solenoid. You should have spark on all cylinders. If you don't then I would disconnect the black and yellow wire at each power pack (if your model has two) and try jumping the solenoid again. If you have spark then it is a grounded kill wire on the engine harness. If not. Then refer to other posts on this forum about spark. They will point you to a site, CDI technologies I think, that will give you the ohms and volts you need to check from the stator and triggers to the packs.

If you have two packs, I would look for a grounded kill wire or a stator. Usually triggers fail on one or two cylinders not all four. A failed stator or a grounded stator would kill the entire ignition system.