1979 Evinrude 35 pops out of gear...(very detailed description)

jekuehl

Cadet
Model:35902A

First, I have read some other threads on here with this issue and decided to start my own because I don't believe the posts were all that accurate.

This happens to me very sporadically. It started last year May (when I boat the boat). Tore lower unit apart, brought clutch dog and forward gear to 2 different OMC service shops. Both said the gears looked fine and both said it was probably a spun hub since my experience wasn't like hitting a log in the water, no jerk action, engine just revs up and pops out of forward gear. When this happens, I have to wait for the RPMs to decrease, so I can shift the lever back to nuetral and then back into forward. So, last year June I got the prop re-hubbed. Never experienced it until the last day I had my boat on the water for 2012, only happend once that day. Boat sat for the winter, took it out for the first time a couple weeks ago and it did it like 4-5 times...under load coming up on plane and sometimes at mid range on plane. So, I just got it re-hubbed. Took it out and it did it 20 feet from launching the boat, and then didn't do it again the entire day (it was a full boating day of slow, fast and planing).

I am going to throw out some questions in my head:

Do you still think it's the clutch dog even though it doen't jerk out of gear?
Do you think the shifting needs adjustment? Is there any other adjustment besides the shift lever that can be done?
Should I just get used to re-hubbing the prop every season?

*I am going to mark the hub and take it out and if it does it again, I should be able to narrow it down to the hub, shift adjustment, or clutch dog.

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1979 Evinrude 35 pops out of gear...(very detailed description)

Does the boat have remote controls? If so, disconnect the shift control and put it in forward manually and see what happens. A prop should not need re-hubbing every year.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Usually popping out of gear has two scenarios. One is like you describe, simply losing the gear with no hard clunk which indicates a spun hub. Another scenario is a hard clunk, a loss of drive, then back again to having the gear. This indicates a worn clutch dog or gear.

With the same thing happening after having the prop rehubbed, I would like to offer some suggestions. Pull the lower unit and examine the driveshaft splines. Usually when they go it is permanent, however I have seen weirder things in my life. You could, especially on an engine of this vintage and if it has been in saltwater, have a scenario where the driveshaft splines are walking on hard acceleration. If you don't see that, then ensure the shift rod heigh is correct and that it moves freely through the shift housing. This is the only adjustment, other than on the engine that will determine the position of the clutch dog and gear.

Try taking the boat out and shifting it by hand with the control cable off. Does it still skip? If not then you need to adjust the shift cable.

In answer to getting used to rehubbing every year, I would say no. It did not resolve your problem.

jekuehl

Cadet

Usually popping out of gear has two scenarios. One is like you describe, simply losing the gear with no hard clunk which indicates a spun hub. Another scenario is a hard clunk, a loss of drive, then back again to having the gear. This indicates a worn clutch dog or gear.

With the same thing happening after having the prop rehubbed, I would like to offer some suggestions. Pull the lower unit and examine the driveshaft splines. Usually when they go it is permanent, however I have seen weirder things in my life. You could, especially on an engine of this vintage and if it has been in saltwater, have a scenario where the driveshaft splines are walking on hard acceleration. If you don't see that, then ensure the shift rod heigh is correct and that it moves freely through the shift housing. This is the only adjustment, other than on the engine that will determine the position of the clutch dog and gear.

Try taking the boat out and shifting it by hand with the control cable off. Does it still skip? If not then you need to adjust the shift cable.

In answer to getting used to rehubbing every year, I would say no. It did not resolve your problem.

Sorry, it's a tiller.

Ok, thanks. I didn't think about the driveshaft splines but when I had it tore apart last year, I didn't notice anything. I think I am going to take you suggestion with the shift rod height and adjustment.
So I am getting the impression that you don't think it's the dog clutch and forward gear? Because I don't think its that...

thanks again for the quick feedback everybody.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not if it is not jumping out of gear and then back into. By jumping I mean it would feel like you hit something.

jekuehl

Cadet

Definitely don't feel like I hit something. It's a very smooth physical experience for the boat and passengers! Just annoying and load as the engine revs up.

Also, I removed the oval shaped cap on the side of the shaft to reveal the shift rod. The brass connector doesn't have any adjustment to it. Just holds the two rods together. Where would I adjust the shift rod height? Do I remove the lower unit?