tan wire from power pack

pioneer11

Seaman Apprentice
does anyone know where the tan wire is supposed to go from the power pack on the right hand side? plug follows the harness down but mine is just hanging there.... Johnson 150 60 degree 1995 thanks

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: tan wire from power pack

Not sure what the right hand side is. Looking toward the bow or the stern? Tan is the color for the warning system, so I would assume it connects to a sensor on one of the heads. You also have quick start wire with the tan on the port head. The stbd head only has the tan sensor wire on the temp sensor. Maybe that is the wire you are speaking about.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

on earlier models there are 2 tan wires witch go to coils , i dont know if you have 2 power packs , check to see if all the coils have a wire each coming from the power packs

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Durban, he has a 60 degree. They have only ever had one pack. Orange wires with a colored stripe are the only wires that go to the coils. :)

pioneer11

Seaman Apprentice

the wire comes out of the coil area on the port side of the engine. goes down past the red plug and is disconnected and there is no wire there to join it up. it is a female end.

There is another tan wire coming from star side temp sensor another tan on port side and one goes into the red plug I am sure this one is coming out of the plug that's in the coils but I am not sure because looks like the three tan wires splice together.

Could It be for the hot engine light? only think I can think of and my engine doesn't use that system check gauge anymore just a 3 wire alarm

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I believe that you are describing the tan wire with a bullet connector that attaches to the oil tank wiring to sound the warning horn when the oil level gets too low.

Do you have an oil tank in the boat or was the oiling system disconnected and you pre-mix oil with the gasoline?

pioneer11

Seaman Apprentice

oil line has been taken out mix 50:1...... so that's probably the wire... Can you solve my other problem on here ? Johnson 150 in slow mode?

so its disconnected and my engine goes into slow mode in gear? but as soon as it's in gear that's it 2500 rpm. back in neutral same thing 2500 max. only revs up on initial start up. spudders and shakes boat drives fine at 2300-2400.