Speaker location for 2003 Searay 182 SRX

jjschwi

Cadet
I am going to install a second set of new speakers in my boat and want to know the best location for sound, fit, and looks. Does anyone own this boat and where did you place the speakers. Currently the boat only has 2 speakers in the factory location. Where should I place the second set. I also plan to add a 4 channel power amp. The new speakers are Polk audio 6.5 inch speakers. I plan to do this tomorrow so fast feedback with pictures preferably is appreciated. Here is my boat. image.jpgimage.jpg

jjschwi

Cadet
Re: Speaker location for 2003 Searay 182 SRX

Do I cut out holes in the pass through, or on the floor in the bow, on the floor area? I think those are the only 2 areas..

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How about on either side of the SeaRay emblem in the bow, about halfway between the emblem and the grab handles? Assuming of course you have a flat enough surface, adequate depth, and that you can get to the backside to route wire.

If you are dead set on the two areas you mentioned, I would pick the area below the seats rather then the passthru bulkheads. Neither is ideal obviously. I put speakers in a passthru on an old trihull and was not very happy with the sound, and the starboard speaker magnet (unshielded speakers) played hell with my dash compass.

Husker-Q

Seaman Apprentice

I have same boat - only 2002 and also want to install the extra speakers. Can't hear the 2 existing very well when up in front. Certainly easiest is in the pass through, however, below the seats near the floor doesn't look like it would be too bad either to install. Up front wouldn't work very well, as likely get damaged by the anchor over time.

Would love to hear your post install feedback and photos!

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cut those 6.5's into the bases under the front bow seats. They'll sound great.
bowarea1.jpg
Not the same boat as yours, but you get the idea.

jjschwi

Cadet

image.jpg Using the dremel tool worked awesome! The circle attachment I had was perfect! Cut a really nice hole, just be sure to drill a pilot hole in the center of your cutout for the guide pin to rest in.

Here is the completed picture.

jjschwi

Cadet

They sound fantastic!! The really bump! The sound is so much better than just the 2 rear speakers. I could not be happier with the results.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 3

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Right on! Looks great. I hear great things about the Polk speakers. Nice choice.

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats what i should have used for mine, i used a jig saw for it, made a hell of a mess

i put mine in the pass through on the consoles, i did it because i didnt want to worry about them getting wet (i just bought nice car speakers, poly cones of course)

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Very nice job, looks great! I added 2 speakers to mine (completely different bowrider) up front. I put mine aft of where your grab handles are, and used a 5" hole saw to cut the hole. Yea, sucked up battery! What I think you'll like most is that while underway, they will help fill the rest of the boat up with sound so that you can hear the radio while driving now.

jjschwi

Cadet

Skydive, are you saying that 4 speakers sucked up too much battery? I did buy myself the die hard platinum 31 battery from sears that sucker costed me $279! But it had the best and longest back up reserve power of 203 minutes.

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't have any issues. I have 2x Group 31 Die Hard Platinum batteries, these things are beasts. I switch to #2 for the stereo when beached - running x4 speakers AND x1 10" sub (75w x 4, 300w x 1 (RMS) 5 Ch Amp) for HOURS no problems. You're not @ full volume and therefore not at full amp draw the whole time, so its not really an issue.. unless you're one of those guys that pumps his stereo @ full volume all day for everyone to "enjoy". :facepalm: :rolleyes::frusty:

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have 2x Group 31 Die Hard Platinum batteries, these things are beasts.

I concur; awesome batteries. They're rebadged Odyssey's at a more wallet-friendly price. I haven't used anything but them in my boats since I was turned on to them a few years ago.

Husker-Q

Seaman Apprentice

nice job on the install - you've inspired me to add some on my SR 182. Was on the water yesterday and couldn't hardly hear the factory ones in the rear, while sitting up front. Will have to go buy that dremmel attachment as well! As for battery, I added a second battery and Perko switch this winter so no worries there!

jjschwi

Cadet

I picked up the polk slim fit 6.5" speakers, they retail at crutchfield for around $99 retail.
Polk Audio db651s 6-1/2" 2-way shallow-mount car speakers at Crutchfield.com

I picked up my speakers on amazon for much cheaper, but crutchfield usually has sales on them. They are marine grade speakers, and they sounded so good! last year I replaced the head unit in the boat with a Kenwood Excelon to replace the stock clarion, I wanted the ipod and hd radio. I didnt spend a lot of money on the unit.

Having the extra speakers in the front made such a tremendous difference in the sound, it now just fills the boat with sound. I cant believe how crappy the cheap stock marine speakers sounded.

The project didnt take long, i poked the speaker wires through a small opening in the caulk under the bow passenger side. I used a wire puller, to push towards the radio deck, then I taped the speaker wire onto the puller, and then pulled it back through the bow seats. make sure you pre drill the screw holes that hold the speakers in the fiberglass, if you dont the fiberglass will crack and not provide a good bite for the screw.

Husker-Q

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the tips - looking forward to the sound improvement - then the only thing I wont like on the sound system is the location of the stereo (in the shallow glove box - which precludes from putting much else in there or else you cant access stereo). Oh well - cant have everything!

rowlex

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just thought id toss this out there for those looking for placement ideas.
12 component speakers
2 12" JL audio subs
1 10" viper dual voice coil sub.
2900 watts of amp.

spkrs3_zpsa8679cd2.jpg

spkrs2_zps3b0b241b.jpg

spkrs1_zpse92c3691.jpg