outboard carb question

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Been rebuilding some carbs today for my YAMAHA and a thought came up that I have never really bothered to question. I have never worked on outboard carbs that have an accelerator pump. No piston or spring loaded diaphragm, nothing. Can someone tell me why?
I have some thoughts but they are just guesses. One would be that each cyl. has a carb and the mixture does not have time to lean out with the sudden increase of air flow. My other thought is that the 2 stroke mixture is rich enough to compensate for the sudden increase in air flow and the carb is close enough to cylinder to quickly compensate. Anyone have any real reason? thanks FRED

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: outboard carb question

Two strokes do not usually need bursts of fuel to accompany opening the throttle, Fred. A correctly used choke or primer is adequate for starting.

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

My Suzuki four cycle has an accelerator pump on each of the three carbs. The older 4 cylinder 100 HP Mercury 2 cycle engines have a single accelerator pump. So, there are some out there.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Fred, On a lot of the OB carbs, the idle mixture is set a bit rich to substitute for an accelerator pump. As Frank said, I know some Merc models have them.