Suggestions on E-mail providers?

RogersJetboat454

Commander
So here's a dumb little story;
In 2003 I signed on to Netscape dial-up service, because that's what I could afford.
Dial-up service has long since been unneeded, but I kept the E-mail going (forking 10 bucks a month over for the privilege) cause it's the evil I know. Plus I didn't want to go through the hassle of changing my e-mail address on record with all the people/companies I care to deal with.

Well, I think it's time I weened my self off. Plenty of other E-mail providers out there who would offer me the same service, a better interface, more (or unlimited) storage, for nothing.

Any suggestions?

I try to keep my distance from the Google empire, as they seem to have their fingers in everything, and IMHO the less they know the better.
Almost the same opinion of MS. Just dropped IE10 yesterday like a bad habit, because I was sick of it allowing doubleclick adds to take over the browser (the back button issue here). Moved on to Firefox.

However, if people believe either offer a superior E-mail, I'm willing to entertain the idea.

bigdee

Commander
Re: Suggestions on E-mail providers?

Firefox and Thunderbird

southkogs

Staff member

Who is your Internet Service Provider? Typically they provide you an email account. Then you can use a client (Outlook, Thunderbird, Mail, etc.) to access it.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Home ISP is Verizon. Fiance has the one complementary account tied up with her own e-mail (she pays the bill), plus has been threatening to change back to commiecast once our contract is up.

Don't necessarily need something that's client friendly, very use to punching in isp.netscape.com to get to my e-mail. Just want an e-mail provider that decent to use, and won't jerk me around too much.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I use both aol and Gmail. The aol is cluttered with spam (I have been on it for about 14 years), but Gmail is fine. Both free.

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Two thumbs way down for Yahoo. I'm pretty much stuck with them since I've been using my account for everything for the past 10 years. Spam off the hook, no POP access unless you pay a fee (can't use Outlook), scrubs your emails for keywords and then uses targeted advertising, etc.

Look into getting your own domain and you can have your own email @whateveryou'dlike.com

Any free service is going to have scrubbers that read your email and target you for advertisements. And just all-around violations of privacy.

I agree I wouldn't trust Google, even though they may be the best out of the bunch.

woodsyfeller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been using Yahoo forever. It was my first and I still have that account. I also have been using Gmail (Google) lately and really like it. I like google only because they seem to have the lowest political agenda then the others. They seem to be a service provider first and not and ideals pusher like some of the others. Gmail also has lots of tools at your disposal especially if you don't have Microsoft office/Xcell and its all for free.

If you don't want the internet or service provider to not know your business your SOL ,because all of them track your stuff that is why when you look at 1 item you see the same item in the pop up adds later. It doesn't matter which provider you used they will pop up on all of them.

that's my 2cents and that may be all its worth ,Just keep in mind the free services have to make money somehow and advertisers are usually the way they do it

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Try CompuServe or cs have had one there from the days I had an account there. Oh it's free and AOL's evil twin

oldjeep

Admiral

I use GoDaddy and my own registered domain for email rather than using any of the free email providers. This insulates us from switching of internet providers. Free is never really free, you pay one way or another.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

I use outlook.com. It supports POP as well.

southkogs

Staff member

I haven't been a big fan of web based email (in terms of interface at least) and the free accounts. However, I've recently wound up with a Gmail account due to an organization I work with. I've linked it up too so that my client (I use Mail on the Mac) pulls from the Gmail account. It's been working fine, and I've had no spam with it at all.

Another option for you - get your own domain registered and have it hosted. It's pretty reasonable each month, and you don't need a website to have the email structure. Then you can have as many accounts as you like.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Gentlemen, thanks for the suggestions.

I may try a trial with Gmail to see what it's all about.

If I had my own business, or had some other reason to get my own domain, I would do it. The bottom line for the thought of getting rid of Netscape is the cost. If I had to keep on forking over the same, or more money for e-mail, there would be little point to me leaving Netscape. More storage, and a better interface are nice, but not necessary. I probably check my e-mail once a week, and usually delete most of it's contents. It's just the occasional E-mail from a friend/family, or some business/organization I care to hear from, that I really use it for.

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've got my ancient yahoo account that I use for all my forum subs and a couple of other things.

my gmail is tied to my droid for phone backup purposes and to my youtube adsense account.

my internet service is my main account and the one I use with paypal/ebay, etc. no spam to that one. whenever i change internet services, this is the one I update my couple of online accounts to such as paypal/ebay. I get 10 free accounts normally whenever I flipflop for cheap tv package purposes. If I even get ONE spam email on the account, I use another slot up and move over to that one and then delete the old one. Kinda helps me keep on passwords lol.

dolluper

Captain

GMAIL anywhere any computer tons of storage free