how hard to change bellows and u-joint?

Countryboy1

Recruit
I am new to the boating scene I have a 72 sea ray srv 220 cuddy cabin with a mercruiser 5.0 I believe with a mercruiser 888 outdrive it has not been in water since 2003 well im assuming that since taged last was 03. I wanna change bellows and u-joint. and also the impellors. I replaced starter because it was bad. the trim will not go up or down its full of fluid and pump is good. please help I got the boat on trade for replaceing a guys bathroom floor

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: how hard to change bellows and u-joint?

A 40+ year old boat, that hasn't run for 10+ years, and you took it in trade for a bathroom floor?????? :facepalm: :facepalm:

You have a lot of hard expensive work ahead of you.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is a link to the OEM service manual Click Here Make sure all the stringers and transom are solid before you even think about working on the engine and drive.

Ford was last used by Merc in 1977.

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow.....I'd say he got a deal, you did'nt! Lots of work....if you want it.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

I beg to differ, when you have the skills that someone needs and you have done that type of work with your eyes closed then I don't think getting a boat in return is bad! He'll my 1970 Bayliner I got for a trade runs fantastic, sure I got it from a everyday 70 year old fisherman who spent money to up keep it but realistically he had no idea how to fix the boat and I had the skills he needed to fix his sons car! Shot I took it and I love it! It's not a cuddy cabin which I wish it were with a family of five but a perfect fishing vessel! At the end of the day if your willing to put in the $ and time to fix boat up and you have some what of mechanical skills you will be fine. Guessing if boat ever needed repair to deck and what not your carpentry work would suffice just need to learn the basics when dealing with something that hits water! Good luck!

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Expect to put $ and time into it but surf around the restoration pages you will find great info and if they can do it with no exp I'm betting you will have no problems!