5.7 volvo fuel issues

rconn0364

Cadet
i have a 2006 29 ft Monterrey cruiser 5.7 osi-e twin Volvo can anybody tell me if there is a filter between the fuel tank and the fuel pump?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.7 volvo fuel issues

Under the fuel pumps. Looks like a little oil filter.

rconn0364

Cadet

Under the fuel pumps. Looks like a little oil filter.

i know about that one,is there anything that would cause interruption such as another filter or a screen in the fuel flow from the tank?

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There's a screen where the fuel line meets the fuel tank, designed to keep larger debris from entering the fuel line.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Possibly, there is paint chips (from inside pump passageways) from running ethanol fuel clogging the screen. If this has not happened to you yet, it will in time. May need new pumps at that point.
For now, check and clean the screen, if you can get at them, and see if that helps.

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have a 2006 29 ft Monterrey cruiser 5.7 osi-e twin Volvo can anybody tell me if there is a filter between the fuel tank and the fuel pump?

I have a Monterey 302, 2001. My tank is very easy to get to so this might not work for you. After taking out the four screws in the cover over the fuel sending unit, I can take out the sending unit and look into the tank. Takes, 3-4 minutes.
Looking into the tank, I can see the pick up pipe and it appears that it has a screen over then end. Following the line up and out of the tank, it goes straight into the fuel manifold and the first thing there is the fuel filter that Don mentioned.
After that is the fuel pump. That is all!.
Look for my string reference "Can't get more than 3000 RPM" from engines. It might help.
The problem turned out to be what Slip Away said, paint chips in the high pressure fuel pumps!!

Good Luck

rconn0364

Cadet

I have a Monterey 302, 2001. My tank is very easy to get to so this might not work for you. After taking out the four screws in the cover over the fuel sending unit, I can take out the sending unit and look into the tank. Takes, 3-4 minutes.
Looking into the tank, I can see the pick up pipe and it appears that it has a screen over then end. Following the line up and out of the tank, it goes straight into the fuel manifold and the first thing there is the fuel filter that Don mentioned.
After that is the fuel pump. That is all!.
Look for my string reference "Can't get more than 3000 RPM" from engines. It might help.
The problem turned out to be what Slip Away said, paint chips in the high pressure fuel pumps!!

Good Luck

thanks for all the info found the issue one of my fuel pump wires became unplugged from the pump.I was changing the oil and i must have brushed it too close. I found this out after i took the fuel pump apart and cleaned it (found no paint just cleaned the screen) also there looked around the tank very hard to access looks like a 90 valve i do not think there was an anti siphon valve. just fyi