1998 merc mystique

rbh

Fleet Admiral
It looks like we can get a great deal on a small car for the wife from her Brother.
Its a 1998 merc Mystique sport with the 195hp v6.
Only issues that I see is it runs hot (needle runs on the L in "normal") and it surges a bit at HWY speeds.

Has anyone had one of these cars before, and what where its issues.

Dam2009

Seaman
Re: 1998 merc mystique

I had one before.. I believe it was a 1996 and I purchased it in 2000. Not the greatest handling vehicle, but I lasted me till 2007, when the radiator blew up. Didn't have too many issues with it prior to that.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Yup...had one. A 97 I bought in 02. Had a Ram 3500 dually at the time and needed something to go to work, beat around town. In 03 the tranny went so I parted it out. Wasn't a bad little car. Not something I would buy again.

I dug this out for ya Rob. Hope it helps.
Used Mercury Mystique Reviews | Consumer Guide Auto

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Thanks guys.
As for the car itself, its the bro inlaws and wife has a $1.00 stake in it, and I am not going touch it, his baby, any issues he said he will deal with it.
Just gotta make sure the wife checks the oil and fluids!!!!

matt167

Captain

Mystique was the Mercury version of the Ford Contour, which replaced the Tempo and Topaz in 1995. They were a midsize car that was not needed in Ford/ Mercury's lineup ( Taurus/ Sable was basically same size ) and that's why they dissipated, and also their reputation hurt Fords image.. Ford as all companies have good and bad vehicles

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I had heard that it was difficult to change the spark plugs in the Ford Contour V6. Here is a blurb on that subject, off the net.

"I got a Ford Contour 99 V6 and I have changed 3 times the spark plugs. As you said the three frontal SP are ease to change but the rear ones are very difficult unless you do certain job. All you have to do is a little more work. You should remove parts that don't alllow you to reach the 3 rear spark plugs. So, remove the plastic holder of the air filter with the corresponding hoses and do forget to disconect the wires of the sensors. Later, unscrew the three bolts that fix the aceleration wire to the intake manifold, then releasing that metalic base and put it to the side. Later, release the EGR valve from the intake manifold (two more bolts) and finally remove the intake manifold (6 additional bolts). In this way you will have easy access to back part where the three spark plugs are located. With the intake manifold in its location it is practically imposible to reach the rear spark plugs. I hope you understood this explanation and solve your problem."

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

We had a number of them as company cars. The sales problem wasn't with mechanics, but a general lack of room in the back seat. Their engines are still very current technology, and have been used up until now in Escapes in a 220 hp version.

If the car is overheating, the cooling system needs flushed and the antifreeze changed. If it still overheats, a radiator shop would need to service the radiator. It's not really a big deal.

If the engine is still surging after it runs cool, take it to Autozone and have them scan the OBD II ECU for problem codes.

Often, the fuel injection throats and butterflies need cleaned and/or the MAP sensor cleaned with aerosol cleaners. 6 new spark plugs might be a good investment, but the back 3 require part of the intake manifold to be removed--1/2 hr. job.

The Mystique is very strong mechanically, and would be a good used car if it doesn't have too many miles.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

All I know is that they had many mechanical issues and were not known for high milage with no problems.They were nice looking little cars though. If you google up " mercury mystique overheating" you will see what others have had to deal with to fix their cars.