Water pump issues

connerdean

Cadet
Hello,
I have a 4.3 GL PWTR engine (4110178507) (3862941) with a SX-M 1.66 outdrive (4112046634) thats not sucking in water from the outdrive. I bypassed the hoses from the outdrive and ran a hose from a bucket full of water directly the intake of the water pump and it working fine. I then checked each hose using the same method back to the transome and again the pumps working. Pulled the outdrive (needed to grease the u joints anyway) and connected water hose to the hose off the mounting pivot and all worked fine. I need help understanding how the water is drawn from the outdrive. Drawing I've looked at show a hose in the lower end of the drive but no physical connection to the hose where the outdrive comes off. I assume the small rubber gasket forms the seal too the outdrive but its unclear how this works. could I be losing suction due to a bad gasket ? anyway any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Water pump issues

There is an "O" ring on the plastic fitting that passes through the pivot housing make sure it is in the correct groove. Then the shaped "O" ring seals against the outdrive leg and also a couple of seals in the joint between the upper and lower parts of the outdrive. You have of course checked the hose clips for tightness where it passes through the transom and that the inlet holes on the lower section are clear.

connerdean

Cadet

There is an "O" ring on the plastic fitting that passes through the pivot housing make sure it is in the correct groove. Then the shaped "O" ring seals against the outdrive leg and also a couple of seals in the joint between the upper and lower parts of the outdrive. You have of course checked the hose clips for tightness where it passes through the transom and that the inlet holes on the lower section are clear.

Hi dypcdiver,

Thanks for your reply. Good information ! I didn't realize I bypassed this seal by attaching directly to the pipe off the pivot housing. The shaped o ring gasket against the outdrive looks OK ... but ! its difficult to say if its the culprit until I replace it. The seals between the upper and lower drives as well as the retainer, seals and tubing in the lower drive could all be suspect Right ? Whats the chances the o ring (pivot housing) and or shaped seal could be the problem before dropping the lower drive. Is it worth replacing these first .... put it all back together and see if this fixed the problem before diving into the lower drive ?
Thanks again for your help.
Tom

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have only just replaced the shaped seal for the second time in 14 seasons and the old one looked fine. I have never replaced the one on the plastic fitting, it is easily inspected when the pivot housing is off.
Before you pull the drive apart check the water pump, there are on most pumps two plastic pipes inlet & outlet that are pressed/glued into the brass part of the pump that the hoses mount on. Several people have found that these can become slack and allow the pump to pull air.

connerdean

Cadet

I have only just replaced the shaped seal for the second time in 14 seasons and the old one looked fine. I have never replaced the one on the plastic fitting, it is easily inspected when the pivot housing is off.
Before you pull the drive apart check the water pump, there are on most pumps two plastic pipes inlet & outlet that are pressed/glued into the brass part of the pump that the hoses mount on. Several people have found that these can become slack and allow the pump to pull air.

Hi dypcdiver,
Good idea....The water pump assy has inlet and outlet plasitic fitting that move ! However, As noted the pump appears to pull water in fine from the pivot housing tube on the plastic nut. Im still thinking theres something wrong on the outdrive. I talked with a tech at one of our local boat dealers...... He suggested it possible the gasket in the lower drive might be the problem. I didn't fully understand which seal but ! he said the one that seals the exhausted (water exiting the prop) from the water intake. Stated if its bad.... The intake will suck air from there. Every heard of this ?
Thanks
Tom

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If The plastic pipes move they WILL pull air not water. Fix them first then if that does not work look elsewhere.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the fittings in the pump are loose, you need a new pump.

connerdean

Cadet

Thanks everyone ! I'll have lots of good informations to read thru. I'll post my finding hopefully soon.
Tom

connerdean

Cadet

Still working getting parts ..... Maybe Im losing it but ! IS there suppose to be a gasket where the outdrive attaches to the pivot housing ? I found the the rubber gasket for the water tube but mine had a gasket on the housing when I took it apart.
Thanks
Tom

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No gasket between outdrive leg and pivot housing just the shaped "O" ring that surrounds the plastic pipe and nut. The nose of the "Universal joint" bearing carrier butts up against the bellows, IF the bellows have been installed correctly.

connerdean

Cadet

That explains why I couldn't find it ! Is it possible the O ring did not seal properly since my outdrive leg had a gasket attached to the pivot housing. The Bellow's look good...... Im not sure about how they are supposed to be installed. Would a gasket be installed if perhasps the bellow's were not installed correctly ?
Thanks for your help dypcdiver.
Tom

connerdean

Cadet

Hey guys,
Anyone else confused about all the different sealants, lubricants and adhesives noted in the sx m manual ? Most are not even avaialble anymore. can anyone break down whats really necessary IE...... What grease should I use for the u joints and gimbal bearing (with zerk fitting) ? Also the driveshalft spline calls for Molybdenum Trioxide (moly ) grease..... Where do I find this ? Last but not least sealing compound for the six mounting studs.
Thanks in advance
Tom

vwbugman69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is spline grease for the splines.
There is gimble bearing grease for the gimble bearing and ujoints.
I just put spline grease on the studs when installing the drive, but any grease will help resist corrosion.

connerdean

Cadet

Thanks vwbugman69.
So I should use P/N 828250 (volvo Penta grease) for the gimbal and u joints. Can you recommend a specific Brand or type of moly grease for the spline ?
Thanks again