Power Trim & Steering fluid

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Guys

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, so I apologise if I've popped it into the wrong one.

I have an '88 Mercruiser 4.3L with an Alpha One sterndrive. The power tilt & trim pump is an Oildyne with the plastic reservoir.

My question is this..

In the Mercruiser pdf "Sterndrive" Service manual it says that you can use 10w x 30 or 10w x 40 motor oil if Quicksilver Power Trim and Steering fluid is not available, but in the Mercruiser pdf "Engine" service manual it says use only Quicksilver Power Trim and Steering fluid OR ATF Dexron or Dexron 11.

If the Quicksilver Power Trim and Steering fluid is used in both systems then I'm guessing that I could use a good quality ATF in both. I have some very good Dexron 111 ATF which I use in my Land Rover, do you Oracles out there think this will work in both systems?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Power Trim & Steering fluid

Hi Guys

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, so I apologise if I've popped it into the wrong one.

I have an '88 Mercruiser 4.3L with an Alpha One sterndrive. The power tilt & trim pump is an Oildyne with the plastic reservoir.

My question is this..

In the Mercruiser pdf "Sterndrive" Service manual it says that you can use 10w x 30 or 10w x 40 motor oil if Quicksilver Power Trim and Steering fluid is not available, but in the Mercruiser pdf "Engine" service manual it says use only Quicksilver Power Trim and Steering fluid OR ATF Dexron or Dexron 11.

If the Quicksilver Power Trim and Steering fluid is used in both systems then I'm guessing that I could use a good quality ATF in both. I have some very good Dexron 111 ATF which I use in my Land Rover, do you Oracles out there think this will work in both systems?

Ayuh,.... No problem, Go for it,....

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Power Trim & Steering fluid

Thank you Bond-o.