Considering a Chieftain 18'

zippinbye

Recruit
IMAG4339.jpg

Hi everyone. This is my first post as a new member. I've lurked in other topics here before, but I had no idea that it would be the most active area on the Internet regarding Starcraft boats. I'm amazed, and hope to learn/share a lot here.

Anyhow, this 1973 18 foot Chieftain is available. It has a 140 Mercruiser. I'd rather have an OB, but if the price is right, that little Chevy II motor is pretty sweet in a light boat. I'm thinking 3 gph cruising at 30 mph or so? There's no canvas or any meaningful accessories. It's on a decent trailer, needs tires. I won't be able to water test it, but the hull is dent-free and I see no signs of corrosion (I believe it's been an AZ boat forever). The wood seems solid. Obviously somebody redid the upholstery and carpet many years ago. Aside from that, I'd say it's all original, including paint. It's respectable enough to run the way it looks, but you can see the years. I could see myself enjoying it as-is for a bit, then doing a full restoration. The owner has had it one year and never got to use it due to heath concerns. He guarantees it will start, but he has not seen the outdrive in action. He got such a good deal and had trust in the seller to the point that he didn't care. Aside from shifting and a fluid check, I'll be rolling the dice on the drive. I need to go back with a good battery, flush muffs and a compression gauge to check-out the engine health.

There may or may not be a pic by the time I get finished with this post. I not, please just use my quick description to answer this question: would I be foolish to pass this up for something in the neighborhood of $1000? Thanks in advance for any thoughts you'd care to post. - Rich

Last edited:

matt167

Captain
Re: Considering a Chieftain 18'

$1k it should be in your driveway already. Big Starcrafts rarely go that cheap.. With the 140 Mercruiser package you have a package that is serviceable from the dealer parts department, or there is also plenty of aftermarket if you want to go that way. My dad had a '73 21' with a 140 Merc and it had run 50 MPH GPS on glass. rarely did the boat go above 30 MPH as it was so rough in the waves. We also ran lighter than a stock Chieftan. no rear seats, and the port side fuel tank was removed and the tank box was turned into life vest storage. Also removed the sink and water tank. Wasn't well balanced that way but it worked as a fishing boat.

dozerII

Admiral

I'd be all over that in a heartbeat at $1000. If it's been in AZ all it's life there should be no cracked block issues. You could pull the bottom plug on the outdrive real quick just to see if there is any water in it, that will tell you a lot about the out drive, little messy though. Good luck and post up some pics when you get her.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Welcome!!!

^^^ 1k is an excellent price! Nice find!

It's kind of sad that the current owner couldn't enjoy it.

How far of a tow do you have?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Jump, Jump, Jump on her Zip. Are you close enough to go grab her quick?

zippinbye

Recruit

Well, you guys affirmed my thoughts; I should be all over it. But ....

Bad news: unfortunately my daughter got sick and I had to cancel what would probably have been the "check & buy" appointment.

More bad news: I left today for a 1.5 week business trip, so I was resigned to someone else snatching it.

Good news: The seller is also leaving town for almost as many days.

More good news: He said, "well there's not much interest, I'm sure it will be waiting for you. Just make me an offer!" :)

Bottom line is it is not properly advertised and he is gone while I'm gone. So, wish me luck.

I'll be back on around June 9 or so with an update. Thanks for the encouraging words!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The Tinny gods are smiling at you, except the sick daughter part. See ya back in a few with good news!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep, good rig, great price

Hope your daughter is getting better too. Travel safe.

Good luck grabbing her before someone else stumbles across it. Probably good to be way down in AZ too. Else Dozer may activate his SC tracking device :watermelon:

spegtoast

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Best of luck to new ownership. I picked my 1978 25' Cheif up for $1500. The only thing I had going for me was that it was complete, the floors were solid, and the seller volunteered to help me put it in the water in the spring. That kinda made me feel better that he was confident that the boat would run, and float. Turns out I do need to do some work to it. Overall happy with the price I got it for. Knowing what I know now, and having a growing passion and support from the starmada.. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. These are very restorable boats.

Good luck. Hope your daughter gets well soon!
Keep us posted.:)