A work-underneath boat cover - suggestions?

oldshore

Cadet
Can any of you give me construction examples of boat covers you can work under? Looking to build something which rests on the boat as opposed to a free standing tent. 23' boat.

Trooper82

Commander
Re: A work-underneath boat cover - suggestions?

Depending on your location...it could get mighty warm and quick if you work under a tarp or plastic lying on top of the boat...not to mention cutting off your oxygen supply...

I would suggest using the "hoop house" approach. Very sturdy...inexpensive compared to a full blown structure like one of the metal carports you can buy. You can get a large plastic sheet from one of the home improvement places that will last for a while...i made one it stayed up, dry, rip free for most of last summer in Louisiana. But they get Hot! And you can use it as a green house once you are done with it....

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...ko-lebaron-therapy-524704-23.html#post3702147

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

PVC with some connectors...make as many as you need...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Actually, I think Trooper's final suggestion was to make the hoops like this...
bubblecover.jpg

using a 10' section on the top without a coupling and then using to 5 foot sections with couplings on the lower sections.

oldshore

Cadet

To attach tarp - puncture plastic and use zip ties?
23' boat on trailer - will this span the boat and reach the ground on either side?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If not then use longer leg pieces. I/2" pvc comes in 10' sticks and is relatively cheap. In Oklahoma about $2 bucks a stick @ Home Depot. HF sells this which should be big enuf for $70 bucks 24 ft. 10" x 39 ft. 4" All Purpose Weather Resistant Tarp I would just use zip ties at the edges using the grommets that are built into the tarp. I'd think if you use this tarp, you could build the cover for right @ $100 bucks. 10' wide x 25' long x 8' high.