Would it be safe to take my 14 foot semi- v-bottom out on a bigger lake.

randy1981

Cadet
I fish on the north part of Broken bow lake in se oklahoma . There are a few spots near the reservor on south side of lake I would like to fish this lake is about 12 miles long an average of 3 miles wide from river to the dam. i do fine in smaller lakes but this one can get some big waves at times. I feel safe to stay close to banks and fishing coves. But would like to cut across areas that are up to 1/2 mile of open water to go fish some good coves. I have no problems on good size waves on north par of lake witch is the river or mouth of lake.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Would it be safe to take my 14 foot semi- v-bottom out on a bigger lake.

A pic of the boat would help because not all 14' boats are created equal and 'semi-v bottom' leaves some to the imagination. I've taken 14' aluminum boats out in pretty big waves but a lot depends on intervals, not just height. If it's only 3 miles wide and 12 miles long, how fast can you go WOT? I'm thinking you could got the length of that thing in 30 minutes max with a decent gas motor which should give you lots of time to retreat if the weather changes.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

As long as you are experienced and do not do it in rough weather/water

A single wave over the bow could swamp you FAST and ruin your day........ but yes it can be done.

Dave Brick

Seaman

The Mohawk Indians took birchbark canoes across Lake Erie, Ontario, and the Niagara River. It can be done, but good weather judgment is required. If I had a 14 footer, I'd want oarlocks and oars on it, in addition to the motor.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

It's all about the weather and related water conditions; size doesn't matter. Length is irrelevant although from your description we can make some assumptions (I would take my 14' Whaler out in a gale; not a V tinnie).
You should know that one of the biggest factors is called "fetch" which is the distance of uninterrupted wind. If you are downwind of the 12 mile length with a 15 mph wind, it will be lumpy.
For a boat your type, a 5 mph increase in wind can be significant so allow a margin.
whether you have a head wind, following, or abeam wind makes all the difference, too. And some hulls handle one and not the other.
So it's all about the wind speed and direction (for coastal boating and I assume rivers, wind against the tide and wind with the tide is a big factor, too).
You need to know your boat, what it will handle and more important, how YOU will handle it. The skill of the captain is 90% of the equation.
And as others suggested, you have to have back-up (oars) but that applies in any case.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

And bring some camping gear,in case ya get in to rough of water you can wait it out.

southkogs

Staff member

Broken Arrow (from the maps) is much like the impounds we have around here. The short answer is, yes you can do it.

Some things to watch: First, mind what weather you're comfortable in. Close in to shore here in TN, I'm terrified of waves that are getting into the 2' tall range. There are too many rocks and things that'll bash a hull and possibly me. More toward the middle of the lake, I'd be fine fighting 4' waves for a while. Know where you're not confident and don't get into that situation.

Second, learn the weather patterns that have the potential to drop storms on you. Like my area (and even more so), you'll get those crazy pop-up storm cells that are small but violent. I've gotten caught by one of those once, and it actually scared me quite a bit. NEVER saw anything like it up on the Great Lakes in over 20 years.

Third, have a plan in mind: if things get crazy here in TN, there is always a cove that will provide shelter from wind close by. There's also usually a marina within a mile or two. Broken Arrow looks to have those same sort of things, and a leeward peninsula can really save your bacon when the weather gets nuts.

Finally, when things start getting a bit dicey ... grab a life jacket and put it on. Just in case.

Otherwise, I'd be willing to sail a Sunfish across Broken Arrow and wouldn't think twice about it. So, you can do it.

randy1981

Cadet

/Users/laceycox/Desktop/3E63Ge3J95L45I25G8d4jc8e5ba8ead04121d.jpg This is a 1954 sea king that i put a deck in . it planes out fine ith the 18 hp evinrude. I been on smaller lakes like pine creek no problem actually have tied off to booeys and fished with big wakes no problem. I have been all up north part of broken bow lake which is mt. fork river and have hit 2- 4 ft. waves the front cuts through nice it is a little bump but not bad. I really am just wanting to fish the variors coves on the lake and there are a few islands if i need to stop and dock . I've even thought about staying close to shore line but would take me longer to get from ramp to some of the coves instead of darting across the open water . the wind for me would be safe on b bow at no more than 10 mph.

randy1981

Cadet

/Users/laceycox/Desktop/3M13Fb3J45L25E45Fed4j959e151593aa1108.jpg/Users/laceycox/Desktop/3Ed3K73Hf5Id5Nb5Hcd4jd9006aadc2a918dd.jpg/Users/laceycox/Desktop/3E63Ge3J95L45I25G8d4jc8e5ba8ead04121d.jpg Here are some more pics i have a 40 lb min cota on back and i have a 32 lb trolling motor on the front. it has 3/4 inch ply wood decking helt to boat with 2x4 frame that is braced in ribs of boat and tied into the back transom whick makes it a bit heaverier but sturdy littl bass boat.

randy1981

Cadet

I have plenty of storarge under the front deck deep bow. and plenty of storage in back deck ice chest gas tank etc. coud add another access door in middle but dont know yet lol.

randy1981

Cadet

the front bow is 40 or so inches tall and the boat is 5 foot wide it only sets about 8-12 inches in the water. itll run at about 20-25 mph

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Considering the recent weather patterns, I don't think I would even drive through OK right now. :)

randy1981

Cadet

Considering the recent weather patterns, I don't think I would even drive through OK right now. :)

no kidding been terrible feel bad for all affected by storm.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

I'd like to comment in this thread as I have the same issues at times. Now first of all the lake I refer to as the "Big Lake" I'm sure most of you would not consider it all that big, but it's big to me & the area I live in. Anyway, 90 % of the time I boat on a small lake because it's only 10 min's from my house. This lake should have a 17' size restriction, but does not. Every now & then I'll drive up to the "Big" lake for a change, most of my friends are there. The first few times I was scared *****less when out in the middle with the million other bigger boats wizzing past me. My boat is a 17' bowrider & when I'm standing next to it it feels like a big boat to me. All that changes when I get around these bigger real boats at the big lake. I feel like a bath toy sometimes. Now when I go there I stick to maybe around 200-250 yards from the shoreline. Just makes me feel saver. Just thought I'd share, hope it makes sence.