2001 90hp Johnson Surging and dying

Mattism78

Recruit
Hello all, yet another newbie. I've searched and can't seem to diagnose my problem. Figure I'll make my own thread to get more direct answers.

I have a 2001 90hp Johnson on my Key Largo (just over 300 hours). When I purchased the boat (approximately a month ago) the motor ran fine but smoked a lot. The previous owner informed me that he rarely took the boat out and that it just needed ran. Took it out and ran it for a day. Still smoked excessively. I spoke with my mechanic friend and we decided we would bypass the oil injection and just premix. No problem. Premixed and now the smoking is normal.

However another problem has arisen. I felt it do it prior to converting to premix, just not this bad. When running (in the water) the boat will start losing RPMS. I normally operate around 4000 RPMS. It will start surging down approximately 500 rpms, then 1000, and continue to slowly surge downward until it eventually dies. It happened approximately 5 times this past Sunday and actually had me concerned as to whether or not I'd make it back to the ramp. It doesn't seem to occur when I'm just idling so that's essentially how I got back to the ramp.

I've changed my plugs (routine more than anything), and know that it has fresh gas and a proper fuel/oil mixture. I just assumed that it would be the fuel side of my VRO but I'd like to be sure before changing the pump. I plan on doing a standard fuel pump and getting rid of the VRO since the pump is $400.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2001 90hp Johnson Surging and dying

Check your fuel first .Make sure fuel tank is vented . Run motor under load(not in a tank or ear muffs) run up up to 4000 rpms pump up fuel bulb if that helps then your fuel pump probably needs changing if still slows down choke it ,carb or carbs may need cleaning(rebuild) .Any time a motor sets up fuel problems start due to our ethanol fuel .

Mattism78

Recruit
Re: 2001 90hp Johnson Surging and dying

I plan on troubleshooting like you described. I know the boat has good gas as I just put 10 gallons in at the marina. Ethanol free. I just need to find time during the week to go put it in the water. By the time the weekend gets here the boss aka wife wants to be out on it. :laugh: