Optima Batteries-will they solve my problem?

basstamer

Cadet
I have a Ranger R72 bassboat with an 80lb MinnKota Fortex trolling motor and im trying to decide on whether or not to invest in Optima Batterys-mainly will they solve my problem. The problem: I go out and usually am able to get 1/2 the dayon mybatteries then they start fading fast-if I make it 3/4 of the dayits a miracle! My boat is always on a MinnKota charger/maintainer and the batteries, be it that they are only Auto Zone Deep Cycle batteries, are only 6 months old. My boat is only 17.5' feet long and with this trolling motor and a 24 volt system I should get alotmore time on the water out of it. My question I guess is does an Optimas charge 'last' longer than standard bateries-will I be able to stay out onthe water longer? Thanks in advance-
Scott

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Optima Batteries-will they solve my problem?

Optimas aren't going to have more capacity because they are optimas. Not knowing the capacity of the batteries you have now its hard to tell what the next steps are. If you are looking at new batteries look at diehard platinum marine group 31. It's a rebadged odysee and a great battery. But they will cost you 275 each.

Splat

Lieutenant

Optima batteries are like Bose speakers, lots of good marketing hype, but no real substantial improvement over the median products.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

BOSE stands for buy other stereo equipment. EDIT. Go to a battery shop and explain what you need. Think about what a golf cart battery does everyday and they are 75 bucks. Before all you smart people tell me they are only 6 volts I am well aware of that. We installed many systems in sailboats that went halfway around the world. I owned a marine electronics shop in Tarpon Springs FL for years and did warranty work for Minn Kota EDIT.

You CANNOT have a battery that raves about starting amps and amp hours. That's a scam. 275 for decent batteries "come on".

Last edited by a moderator:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Batteries are like buckets of electricity. Bigger bucket, more juice, longer run time. Not knowing what your current battery ratings are (look at the capacity label) we can't offer any conclusion other than NO! The same capacity Optima is not going to run longer than the same capacity ANYTHING battery.

basstamer

Cadet
Sorry I only gave part of the info....

Sorry I only gave part of the info....

I was in a hurry headed outta town, but I appreciate everyone chiming in! Ok my batteries are group 27....1000 cranking amps,115 amp hrs with 180 Reserve capacity and again this is a 24 volt system so I have 2 batteries. Thanks guys!

UncleWillie

Captain

The only number that matters in this application is the Amp Hours.
If the Batteries were in Parallel, you would have 230 amp hours at 12 volts. (~25,000 Watt Hours)
With the Batteries in Series, you have 115 Amp hours at 24 volts. ( Still, ~25,000 watt hours, There is no free lunch.)

Using a general rule of thumb; Your 80lb motor will draw ~40 amps at 24 volts wide open.
40 amp into the 115 amp hour "Bucket" will last a little less than 3 hours wide open.
Half speed, some time drifting, and a dose of reality added for good measure; you might last 4-5 hours on a good day.

Does this sound about like your experience?

Bigger Batteries with more Amp Hours, or another 2 Batteries in Parallel with the first 2, will buy you more operating time.
The Motor will not care whose Label is on the batteries.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Optima batteries USED to be a quality battery until JCI (Johnson Controls Inc. ) purchased them. However as many have stated, your issue is simply capacity. you do not have big enough batteries.

The Enersys (Odyssey batteries) manufactured product is a really good product, and does demand a premium price. (Not all batteries are created equal)

For a trolling motor, I recommend a pair of group 31's at a minimum (just a bit taller than the group 27's. or better yet, 4 of them. 8D batteries would be better for capacity, however they weigh a ton and are hard to handle and the price per capacity isnt there as it is with the Group 31's.

basstamer

Cadet

Ok so at the risk if soynding ignorant again if I go to 4 batteries how do I hook them in to maintain the 24 volt system-2 sets of batteries - to + then hook the two swts up + to + ? And secondly in tgeory this would double the time I am experiencing on the water now correct? So guts I aint much of a mechanic so I rely on firums like this one a smart fellas like you for guidance!

UncleWillie

Captain

You have the idea.

The two batteries you now have are in Series giving you 24 volts.
The additional two will also be connected in Series to each other.
And then the additional Two will be added in Parallel to the existing two.

The voltage will remain at 24 volts but the amp hours will double and you will operate twice as long.
All four batteries can be treated as one big 24volt battery for charging purposes if you wish.
Or a four bank charger could be used.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

How do you use it, what percent of the time is it running and at what setting?
I have a MK Terrova 24V 80lb with ipilot, I use 2 group 27 Diehards and can troll for more than 7 hours straight and they still have plenty of life left.

Have your batteries checked before doing anything.

Todd4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Has anyone mentioned the OP needs to use DEEP CYCLE bateries for trolling? I don't remember reading that specifically stated, but deep cycle will allow greater discharge and still be able to be fully re-charged more often (more discharge/re-charge cycles) than 'regular' start batteries. Also, be sure to FULLY charge your batteries as soon as possible after using them for trolling, to extend their life.

EDIT: Guess I can't read (or remember) well.:D

Todd

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

From his post.

"My boat is always on a MinnKota charger/maintainer and the batteries, be it that they are only Auto Zone Deep Cycle batteries, are only 6 months old"

kahuna123

I owned a Minn Kota and crapguide shop for years. Go buy 12v golf cart batteries. Sams club has them fairly cheap, Think about what they are made to do and what you are using them for. the LAST thing you need is cranking amps.

basstamer

Cadet

Ok guys ty soooo much. Im gonna check into several things suggessted. I like tge idea of 4 in a swries but dont have the room-may end up with golf cart batteries who knows! I am strictly a bass fisherman and use my motor sporadically as such and it brings my days to an end prematurely (if im in wind or current firget about it) and since I don't get out as much as I want allready the last thing I want is batteries dictating when we are going home! Thank you all very much

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Ok guys ty soooo much. Im gonna check into several things suggessted. I like tge idea of 4 in a swries but dont have the room-may end up with golf cart batteries who knows! I am strictly a bass fisherman and use my motor sporadically as such and it brings my days to an end prematurely (if im in wind or current firget about it) and since I don't get out as much as I want allready the last thing I want is batteries dictating when we are going home! Thank you all very much

You better go back and read the description of how four batteries are wired to get 24 volts. Putting four batteries in series as you just said, gets you 48 volts. Putting two batteries in SERIES gets you 24 volts. Putting another two batteries in series (by themselves) gets you another 24 volts. Now putting those two 24 volt strings in PARALLEL with each gets you 24 volts and you have the benefit of the capacity of the four batteries. The scheme looks like this:

kahuna123

You better go back and read the description of how four batteries are wired to get 24 volts. Putting four batteries in series as you just said, gets you 48 volts. Putting two batteries in SERIES gets you 24 volts. Putting another two batteries in series (by themselves) gets you another 24 volts. Now putting those two 24 volt strings in PARALLEL with each gets you 24 volts and you have the benefit of the capacity of the four batteries. The scheme looks like this:

Got all that. What batteries and what amp hours should he end up with at what cost?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The diagram was meant for the OP since he said he was going to connect them in series. The batteries he ends up with depends on how thick his wallet is. My local farm store has Group 27 deep cycles for $75. Or he can opt for whatever overpriced equivalent he wishes. Since golf car batteries were mentioned as an option, he would only need eight of them if this configuration is what he wanted. Or four of them if he wanted a basic 24 volt system. That number of batteries on a 17.5 foot boat would likely create some space and weight issues. The least expensive option is a pair of group 31's charged by a 10 - 15 amp on-board charger at the dock is all that's needed. Plug in at noon when having lunch.

kahuna123

I was waiting for you try to make me wrong. I do this for a living. Believe it or not they make 12 volt golf cart batteries. What a statement to say he needs 8. He doesn't know series from parallel. He just wants it to work. I have boats I wired 20 years ago still making money all over. Here's a picture of before and after the last one it did. Not just talked about. This is a 26 ft cat with twin 250 with radar, autopilot, 6 pumps, livewell, spreaders and forward looking, twin 250's, fresh water and salt washdowns, winch and so on. It takes 6 divers just about every weekend 80-110 miles offshore.

Attachments

• gregs boat 2 005.jpg
    gregs boat 2 005.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 0
  • gregs boat 2 007.jpg
    gregs boat 2 007.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0