Low rpm stalls

Hay,

I just bought a 2002 regal 18' with a merc 4.3 2 brl, once it is warmed up to operating temp, 175 on gauge, it wont idle, or barely run below 1500-2000 rpms, if i can get it past that point is runs awsome. I have checked the cap rotor, spark in every plug, new 93 octane gas, any thoughts?.
I am going to pull the carb tonight and check the low rpm jets. I am thinking it runs at low speed with the choke on, once warm and the choke opens it is running lean?

Thanks,

Fran

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Low rpm stalls

Hay,

I just bought a 2002 regal 18' with a merc 4.3 2 brl, once it is warmed up to operating temp, 175 on gauge, it wont idle, or barely run below 1500-2000 rpms, if i can get it past that point is runs awsome. I have checked the cap rotor, spark in every plug, new 93 octane gas, any thoughts?.
I am going to pull the carb tonight and check the low rpm jets. I am thinking it runs at low speed with the choke on, once warm and the choke opens it is running lean?

Thanks,

Fran

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Rebuild it while ya got it off,... probably fulla crud...

UPDATE-- Low rpm stalls

UPDATE-- Low rpm stalls

I rebuilt the carb and no change?? sooo what else could cause this due to heat?? COIL, I replaced the coil and ta-da i also put on a new cap and rotor once i figured out the problem. I gotta tell ya, this is a 2002 18 foot and this 4.3L 2 barrel pushes it to 50 mph, I was impressed, I know, nothing to crazy but it hauls for a little boat.

Thank for the input.

UPDATE-- Low rpm stalls

UPDATE-- Low rpm stalls

I rebuilt the carb and no change?? sooo what else could cause this due to heat?? COIL, I replaced the coil and ta-da i also put on a new cap and rotor once i figured out the problem. I gotta tell ya, this is a 2002 18 foot and this 4.3L 2 barrel pushes it to 50 mph, I was impressed, I know, nothing to crazy but it hauls for a little boat.

Thank for the input.

I replaced the thunderbolt ignition with a marine delco and it runs better that it ever has. $250 for distributor, cap, rotor, coil, wires and electronics.