engine dies

Javelin JD

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK, so I went out yesterday to try and get a better understanding of what was happening so I could solict further advice from you all. Here's the skinny. Started fine after I primed the bulb. Ran fine, however I didn't run in longer than 20 min or so getting to my fishing hole. Same as returning to the marina. When I got to the waiting area (lot of people on the water, many didn't know how to back a trailer, or load a boat), I idled down and waited, the motor stayed running. After I tied her up to get the truck I killed it, I was gone about 10 min as the wait was still present. It wouldn't start until after I pumped the primer bulb at which it started right up. loaded it onto the trailer and as I was cranking the wench, it died. I didn't need to start it back up as I was already loaded. Would this be a carb issue or should I be looking in some other direction. Thanks for your advice

lindy46

Captain
Re: engine dies

If it runs when you squeeze the primer bulb, but dies when you stop, you probably have a fuel pump issue.

Scurvy Knave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds like your pump isn't keeping its prime. Suggests an air leak between the pump and the gas tank. Check hoses and connections.

Javelin JD

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I only have to prime it when I kill the engine manually after it idles for a period of time, otherwise it runs fine. before I start I prime the bulb, starts up without much hassle, choke, throttle up and it starts, sometimes I have to do this a couple times with only priming once. I go to fishing holes, move here and there she starts up with no problems, I come back to the marina and wait in line to put on trailer where I am idling and at that point it will die. Primer bulb is soft, I pump and she starts back up. thoughts?