Why cant people get a raft up anchoring right?

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Wind was slightly up from normal yesterday and 3x we got blown into by rafts of boats where only one person had an anchor out or 5ft of scope. After the 2nd time by the same group I lifted anchor and re-located (funny people think your at fault when your down wind?) they had noisy kids anyways!

We then rafted up with friends, both of us have good anchor gear and had adaquite scope out and didnt budge an inch for hours however this raft up of 5 boats came drifting into us FAST and no one on the boats was noticing or knew what to do.... they acted all shocked when we finally brought it to their attention and were fending off. The one on the end started up the engine and started to move forward but wasnt helping with all the other heavy boats- at that point we are pushing them off and trying to keep them out of are anchor lines. Turns out only one person had an anchor out... :facepalm:

Got a little sun-burnt:cold: first real day hanging on the boat other than a few drives. Seemed alot of other boaters forgot the rules of the road over our long winter but all in all- glad to be back on the water.

agallant80

Commander
Re: Why cant people get a raft up anchoring right?

I don't think anyone knows the rules of the road. The driving this weekend around cape lookout and Bouford was so bad.

tpenfield

Staff member

We don't have as much rafting up in the places that I visit . . . maybe you will get 3-4 boats rafted together at the most.

Bigger problems seem to be the ability to anchor in the first place . . . I would guesstimate 15-20% of the boats/captains are not able to properly anchor their boats so that they stay put and don't create a hazard for nearby boats. :(

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

I would guesstimate 15-20% of the boats/captains are not able to properly anchor their boats so that they stay put and don't create a hazard for nearby boats. :(

I would place that a lot closer to 75% who do not know how to properly anchor.

I live in fishing country. Around here, people rarely anchor recreationally. They rarely anchor to fish either, believing that it's much easier to hold a spot with trolling motors. Anchoring appears to be a lost art

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I feel pretty confident I don't know how to anchor correctly but I make do and I keep a close eye on the boat until I am sure we ain't moving. I also stay away from places where people like to raft up because of the noise and the lack of responsibility that seems to be attracted to these areas.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

The short answer to the posted question is that just because someone owns a boat, doesn't make him a boater.

And there are far too many non-boaters out there.

oldjeep

Admiral

Don't see much rafting around here - you beach it if you want to lay around.

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

Many boaters I have encountered in situations like this have very inadequate anchors for their craft. I can say that the one supplied with my boat was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard and I replaced it. I also find a second very useful as the stern often needs to be secured to control swing. The other thing I see a lot is people anchored in 20' of water with 30' feet of rope ie; they have no idea how much rope they need out for a secure hold and in many cases they simply don't have enough.

gtochris

Many boaters I have encountered in situations like this have very inadequate anchors for their craft. I can say that the one supplied with my boat was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard and I replaced it. I also find a second very useful as the stern often needs to be secured to control swing. The other thing I see a lot is people anchored in 20' of water with 30' feet of rope ie; they have no idea how much rope they need out for a secure hold and in many cases they simply don't have enough.

Q: Do you have your anchor line tagged off with markers for depth? It's sometimes hard to know how much line is out (or not). Since I'm in a lake, I use a 16lb sand filled plastic coated type anchor with a length of chain and 100ft of line. For scope I tend to let out enough that the line is on a 45* angle from my cleat to where it enters the water. It seems to be about the right amount for nearly every situation I've come across. I too feel the anchors and gear that come standard are a joke.

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, I do have indicators on line, I mostly anchor in shallow water and the bow anchor is a sand/soft bottom anchor because that is where I am mostly on 150' of line. I have a Danforth for the stern when needed on 60' of line. My rear anchor is mostly deployed when I am close to the beach and it has a float attached that warns others that the anchor is there.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

We tie up in our lakes "party cove" just about every time out. You would be surprised at how many times we almost get drifted into by boaters who have no clue on how to anchor. The worst offenders are the pontoon rentals. They lease those things out to anybody with two legs and only equip them with a small mushroom anchor. They all get to partying and nobody is paying attention to the fact that they are drifting until they are but a few feet from my boat. Really gets my blood pressure up.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

We routinely anchor out in rafts of 10+ boats, most in the 25-35' range. Never had our group move. Have watched many others move around, but no accidents/issues. Had one guy drift and in the end we hooked him onto our group because his anchor wouldn't hold.

3ce24825.jpg

frantically relaxing

I've never had a problem with rafter-upper's running into me.

But then, I don't anchor downwind of rafter-uppers...

;)

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

too bad "Common Sense" is not common.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I stuck cable ties into my anchor line at 25' intervals so I can know how much I put out. I do most of my anchoring at night so I can feel the intervals as well as see them in day time. If I had better memory I'd color code them as well!