1989 Bayliner Arriva model 2000 restore/refloor

TexaninCincy

Cadet
Hi guys, I am new to this forum but I have found a lot of information on here very useful for the near future. I just recently bought my 1989 bayliner arriva BR off of craigslist for 675 which i thought was a steal I have yet to take possession of the boat (im going to pick it up tomorrow) The motor it has on it is a Force 125 but is currently out of commission, apparently one of the pistons melted and scarred the clylinder wall up pretty bad so i am in need of a new motor any ideas where to get one for not a whole lot of money? I am still in college so i do have a budget to stick to. As far as the hull it looks in pretty good shape form the outside but i know there are going to be problems in the flooring. The is a hole in the bow floor and i do know that the rear floor(from mid consoles back) has been replaced and by replaced i mean that they just put a piece of carpeted 3/4" wood over top of god knows what. I will attach some pictures i have from when i went to look at the boat to purchase it. I will hopefully know more about the flooring and the condition of the stringers this weekend when i get it all apart. I am fairly adept with using all kinds of tools but I am new to glassing. My plan is to get rid of all carpet completely and then glass and gelcoat a brand new floor. Any tips of helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. PART951341364374533-1 (1).jpgPART951341364392755 (1).jpgPART951341364427408 (1).jpgPART951341364449679 (1).jpg

NoSkillz

Seaman
Re: 1989 Bayliner Arriva model 2000 restore/refloor

Cool boat! Best advice I can give is expect the absolute worst about the underlying condition of the floor/transom. If you do that you have no where to go but up. Maybe that engine can be freshened up. Pistons are aluminum and cylinder liner are generally much harder metals, like steel. Im not familiar with outboards or their parts availability.

TexaninCincy

Cadet

Cool boat! Best advice I can give is expect the absolute worst about the underlying condition of the floor/transom. If you do that you have no where to go but up. Maybe that engine can be freshened up. Pistons are aluminum and cylinder liner are generally much harder metals, like steel. Im not familiar with outboards or their parts availability.

Ya after reading a lot of posts on this forum i am expecting the worst especially since the ski locker is covered up by the piece they laid on top of it

Inciderboy

Recruit

Hi I am just in the process of buying similar model, not sure of the year, but very original hull paintwork and seats. Sadly floor too looks original (soft), though hopefully not as bad as yours! I too have the 125 force engine, but its a runner. I'm looking to use it this summer and then doing some restore over the winter - fleabay original listing - ARRIVA BAYLINER 2050 BOWRIDER - MERCURY FORCE 125 HP PTT - BRAKED TRAILER | eBay
I'll keep you posted and watch your progress with interest - Good Luck!

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Force Outboards are no longer made, they stopped making them a while ago so parts will be tough. You might do better searching for a different power plant. If the floors are bad, most likely you should check under and in the transom too. Hope for the best but just know that these other areas are just as important as a floor. And rot usually starts low and moves up. The boat looks really nice, but engines and all the glass work can be a bit costly.

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

I think she looks worth a few months of work and putting a few grand into! I think she's a very nice looking boat.

TexaninCincy

Cadet

well I tore out the floor and found out why the boat was so cheap, partial rot in the stringers and foam that is drenched in water. the transom surprisingly is in pretty good shape

Inciderboy

Recruit

I had my boat out for the first time this weekend to see what issues if any. Surprisingly few problems apart from the fuel primer pump leaking, running out of fuel, nearly grounding as the tide was very low by the time we got back. Engine pulls very well, nothing frightening from the lower unit, goes into gear well, but I think I'll get an impellor kit to be on the safe side and get the engine serviced to make sure there are no problems there. I'll definitely be tackling the floor over the winter.

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a cool boat I have a 89 bayliner capriaand my floors wher bad too but my stringers and transom seemed ok. it is a lot of work but its all worth it when your out on the water...

TexaninCincy

Cadet

Well I got most of the floor out and I have to say that foam sucks, especially wet foam.
Now all ive got left to get out is a few more pieces and then the stringers, does anyone have any tips or hints about how to get the stringers out?

TexaninCincy

Cadet

Also i was thinking about taking the boat out to the local lake and launching it to see if there are any leaks in the hull. Can anyone tell me if this is a good idea or a bad idea. The engine will be off the boat but there is no foam or interior structure so any imput on this issue would be appreciated

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

The experts may say differently, but I wouldn't want to move it around any more than necessary. Just look it over well from the inside.

A long floppy blade on a sawzall works well to cut out the stringers. Run it along the bottom against the hull. It will flex to the contour of the hull and not hurt it if you are careful.

tigfit

Cadet

I have restored the same boat !! Your picture brought back memories! I replaced stringers years ago and last summer did the transom with Seacast pourable transom repair! Its like concrete and lightweight! I wish I would have used it to do the stingers years ago but I thought it was to expensive when I first bought the boat! Little did I know I would like the boat so much to have it 16 years latter! Its a fun boat!

TexaninCincy

Cadet

Thats awesome do you have some pictures of the boat it sure would be cool to see a finished product

tigfit

Cadet

Just seen you post today I will see what I have in pictures and get them up as soon as I can!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, Sawzall with flex blade for stringer removal works best. The first link in my signature will have some good info on all the things you're about to undertake. Did you core sample the Transom. You don't want to do all this work now, only to find out later you should have replace the transom too!;)

tigfit

Cadet

I replaced the transom by using Seacast! I have seen how they cut the cap of the stringer and use a drill and electric chainsaw to remove the rotten stringer and then pour the cavity with seacast!! If it works as well as it did on my transom it seems like a strong fix and also seems it would resist water!