350 Magnum Ski - Hot exhaust manifolds

inthewaterky

Cadet
I have exhaust manifolds getting hot. Didn't have her out long. Risers are cool to the touch however the exhaust manifolds are hot, couldn't keep my hand on them for more than a second.

Temp reading at 150-170 but I don't trust that read out currently. Seems I have a bad ground somewhere and the read out is flakey. If it was the impeller I wouldn't be getting water to the risers. Thinking water pump at front of motor? Or a bad thermostat? (Just replaced T-Stat)

Any ideas on this one and where to look first?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 350 Magnum Ski - Hot exhaust manifolds

My manifolds are always too hot also but the risers being cool is what you want and by what you're saying they are.

You don't list if you have carb, efi or mpi and if you have fwc or are just raw water cooled but both my mpi engines would run at 170 which is perfectly fine.

Verify with an I/r gun if your gauge is accurate or not but seems like you may be good to go.

Mark

inthewaterky

Cadet

My manifolds are always too hot also but the risers being cool is what you want and by what you're saying they are.

You don't list if you have carb, efi or mpi and if you have fwc or are just raw water cooled but both my mpi engines would run at 170 which is perfectly fine.

Verify with an I/r gun if your gauge is accurate or not but seems like you may be good to go.

Mark

Carb. And has always seen fresh water. It is raw water cooled. Just seems to be running hotter in the engine bay from gut and feelign around. Not sure i trust the reading. Need to get I/R gun. What temp should the manifolds be? I know car manifolds are extremly hot. But thought thats why boat manifolds had water cooling. Still trying to figure out the water flow. But I think I found a good diagram. Top of thermostat housing was extremly hot as well. But risers cool as could be. I also have thru hull exhaust, not sure if that makes a diffrence or not.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Change the Impeller, 'n try it....

The impeller is always the 1st place to look, in Any overheat condition,....