'82 1648 SeaNymph aluminum restoration

jmac634

Recruit
Howdy folks! I'm new to the forum and I've tried doing some research on my question but I can't find the answer so I figured I'd just ask.

We bought this boat a couple weeks ago and the interior needed a lot of attention. This will be a fishing/hunting/bowfishing boat when it's done so we wanted to make some custom improvements to meet our specific needs. So we have stripped the entire hull down to the ribs, removed all the floatation foam and have taken the '82 80 hp Merc outboard off. Our goal is to put this boat back together with NO WOOD. Transom or otherwise. This brings me to my main question: Does anyone have any experience rebuilding transoms without wood? This transom is 1.5" thick and we were planning on building strength with square aluminum tubing both horizontal and vertical. Obviously the motor mounting bolts will be attached through this tubing. I have no personal experience rebuilding a transom except with plywood and I was hoping for some suggestions.

Thanks for your time! I'll try to get some pics posted if I can figure it out!

BonairII

Commander
Re: '82 1648 SeaNymph aluminum restoration

Post a pic of your boat.

Why the need to NOT use any wood? A wood transom and floor that is sealed with epoxy etc will last a LONG time.

jmac634

Recruit

3E83I63J85L95Hc5Jdd5f62f03e13df3e1276.jpg

Boat is now stripped down. I have a few pics but it's saying they're too large.

The main reason I'm moving away from wood is weight. I'll have a 23 gallon fuel cell, 3 or 4 12v batteries and an elevated bowfishing deck about half the year. Also I've dealt with wooden floors and transoms and I'm just done with them. I don't want to have to dig back into the boat at ANY point and repair something that I could have fixed permanently at this point.

I'm not trying to be smart, but I could turn the question around and ask why wood or why not aluminum?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

ask why wood or why not aluminum?

When it comes right down to it...

Wood - Strength to weight ratio is excellent. Wood sealed up and properly cared for will last forever. Wood is easier to work with. Wood is cheaper then the alternatives.

:thumb: