why is my johnson 9.9 leaking - please see pictures

npalachuk

Cadet
I have a 1974 Johnson 9.9 that is leaking from both the upper part of the lower unit and the upper part of the exhaust unit.
It was running good until the last hour when it started missing a little, no loss of power, did not stop pissing, was not over heating, just stared leaking after taking out of the water. picture 1 and 2 show the upper part of the exhaust unit, picture 3 shows the lower unit.
what is wrong - my son says the seals are gone - if that is true how much does if cost to have it fixed. and is this very difficult job to do on my own.

Attachments

• 1974 Johnson 9.9 slide 2.jpg
    1974 Johnson 9.9 slide 2.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1974 Johnson 9.9 slide 3.jpg
    1974 Johnson 9.9 slide 3.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1974 Johnson 9.9 slide 4.jpg
    1974 Johnson 9.9 slide 4.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1974 Johnson 9.9 slide 1.jpg
    1974 Johnson 9.9 slide 1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 0

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: why is my johnson 9.9 leaking - please see pictures

Your upper motor mounts appear to be broken, which take out the bellows type gaskets around the mounts. To check this with the motor on the boat, try to push the upper part of the motor forward & back. It should not have any movement (or at least minimal) I will bet you have over 1/2" of movement.

To replace them you need to pull the powerhead and the price is not cheap, like $85 each. And usually the bolts are corroded in badly.

For more info go to my website Welcome to LeeRoy's Ramblings

npalachuk

Cadet

Thank you - $170 is not all that bad as long as I don't have to replace all the seals. I see your answer to the black ooze in picture 1 and 2, but what about the milky brown stuff?

the machinist

You can also tell that those upper mounts are bad because your exhasust housing is not parallel with the pivot shaft.

The milky color oil is also covered on one of my articles, just a LOT of unburned fuel/oil mix with water. Black, brown, creamy all pretty much the same, just different degrees of mix or how much OLD carbon was inside to start with. Common if you run the boat a lot at slow speed, where it does not allow the powerhead to get hot enough to really do it's combustion thing, leaving more oil in the exhaust system. This gasy oil softens the old carbon & it can ooz out for some time. Sometimes adjusting the idle jet leaner may help. Also look at my site as for those pre electronic ignition motors, they seem to run better using NGK spark plugs (off the top of my head I can't remember which one).

The creamy grease at the top of the pivot shaft is probably excess greasing of the shaft with non waterproof grease.

npalachuk

Cadet

next question, what is the trick to getting the power head off - I don't want to pry to hard I don't want to break something

the machinist

Go to my ramblings under OMC powerhead repairs, I tell & show how this may have to be done.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

In "the machinist's" articles, he also shows a way to rebuild the upper mounts that should cost less
than $170. I'd really encourage you to spend time on that site. There's lots of information that I
haven't been able to find anywhere else.

Maintaining Johnson 9.9 Powerhead/Gearcase

npalachuk

Cadet

Thank you Lee Roy, I was aple to replace the mounts with no problems but now I have it all back together and everything in place but it will not start. I am getting fuel to the carb, I have compression, and spark but something is still not right because it ran fine before in took it apart to fix the mount.

what am I missing?

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Did you switch up the clips for the coils when you put it back together? To verify, just switch the spark plug boots and see if it fires up.

npalachuk

Cadet

would a broken stop switch matter

rrw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

would a broken stop switch matter

If you don't have spark, that would be a good place to start. Yes top coil to top plug, but your wires could be backward from powerpack.

AlTn

Commander

no pp on that year...I'd make certain of spark first and a broken stop switch that is shorting out would certainly make a difference...

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

top coil to top plug?

I was indicating that you might have switched the clips that come out from under the flywheel that go tot he coils. If you did, it would never start.

npalachuk

Cadet

I never removed the fly wheel or plug wires
I just removed the power head and put it back

the machinist

How about a bad/leaking air on the fuel line suction from the coupler to the fuel pump? Or on that motor, the kill wires do not have couplers (wired direct), so you would have had to cut the wires to remove the powerhead. Did you reconnect them with insulated connectors, if not you may be grounding out & killing it.

npalachuk

Cadet

new fuel line from coupler to fuel pump. kill switch has connecters already - i just disconnected them and reconnected

npalachuk

Cadet

the button head of the stop switch is hanging loose and not making contact with anything

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Well you are going to need to start at the beginning. You said compression is good. Is that measured with a compression tester and if so what were your numbers. Spark. Was that done with an external spark tester and did it jump a minimum of a 3/8" gap. You said gas is getting to the carb. Have you tried spraying a little pre-mix gas into the carb throat and/or putting a teaspoon into each cylinder and trying to see if you get any response from the motor? Have you tried replacing the spark plugs?